Apr 18, 2019

P is for Present


How does one stay present in the moment these days?

It seems much easier to get distracted these days than when my children were young, back in the 80's and 90s. Then I might be distracted by my own thoughts, by chores, or perhaps a long phone call (phone attached to the wall!) .

I once posted a phrase on my fridge with the words "BE THERE" on it, to remind myself to give my kids 100% attention when I was engaging with them. I tended to multitask a lot, with homeschooling four children. How much harder is it these days
Photo by Oliur on Unsplash
to "BE THERE" with cell phone addiction thrown into the mix?

 These days cell phones are so ubiquitous. We see them in the hands of parents at parks, at restaurants, in living rooms, at the table,  and more. Parents may be physically present to their children, but I think it's much more difficult these days for them to truly give their children all of their attention. Cell phones are so very attractive!

 It hasn't taken any time at all for our little grandson to be enamored with cell phones. Why wouldn't he be? They are sooo interesting! Everyone seems to be constantly looking at their screens.  When he hears a notification sound, little C stops what he's doing and looks at us as if to say "Are you going to check what that is?"

 If we are honest, most of us would say we struggle with spending too much time on our phones, and are even battling a level of addiction to them. *hand raised*

Most of us could use a reminder to set our phones down and be present to those who are looking to us for attention or guidance.

My grandson is that reminder to me.






1 comment:

  1. The young ones really catch on to technology I do believe. It is a good reminder to be present. We have a rule with no cell phones at the table whenever everyone is over for dinner. I find myself checking my phone when it "bings" to see what came in. I think it would be good to turn it off every once in awhile and just be present.

    betty

    ReplyDelete

Hey, thanks for popping by! I appreciate your visit and your comments :) It's fun to make new friends!