Mar 13, 2020

Tea and Peace

Hello, faithful readers and visitors alike! Long ago I decided I wouldn't apologize for my lack of haphazard blogging. Life's too short to care about whether I show up regularly or not. I continue to enjoy having this space and can't seem to cut myself off from it. And I do still enjoy visiting the blogs I come upon or have marked as my favorites. It seems, although blogging may not be as popular or even perhaps a dying trend, I find it to be a way to connect with others who enjoy sharing their thoughts in a quiet way. At least that's how it feels to me. Sort of like sitting across the table with friends, enjoying a cup of steaming hot tea.
Speaking of tea, I found this mug at a thrift store the other day, and I couldn't keep my eyes off of it. I think I was meant to spend $2 on it. I'm always on the lookout for mugs that speak to me.  Due to my health challenges at this time, I am limited in what I can eat or drink, so instead of complaining, I have decided to make what I CAN consume as enjoyable as possible. This mug brings the experience of drinking tea up a notch :)



Today my Lent reading from Pauses for Lent by Trevor Hudson was from Matthew 5:9

Blessed are the peacemakers.  
How does one live as a peacemaker in the world in which we find ourselves?

 With the COVID-19 in the news constantly, and it being classed as a pandemic, there's a lot of fear and anxiety infiltrating our neighbourhood, city, province, country, and world.

A friend of mine has a partner who is at risk due to his ill health and he is extremely anxious about catching this bug, she tells me. I ask her how she's feeling and she says "Stressed".

I watched a group of people at Costco practically swarm the deli worker as he rolled out freshly packaged hamburger.  He couldn't even place them in the refrigeration area before they were snapped up.

I observed a driver in the parking lot who angrily gestured at another driver for no good reason.

I have a friend who's worried about her young daughter living on the streets and pregnant.

Another friend is scheduled for a very invasive operation as a last ditch effort to help him live longer, after being diagnosed with terminal cancer.

Sometimes it's just a little overwhelming, isn't it?

This world needs peace as never before.
Peace to replace fear.
Peace to replace anxiety.
Peace to replace injustice and violence.
Peace to replace self-preservation.
Peace to replace hate.

I am reminded of the words of Jesus when he was in the boat in the middle of a storm. He spoke to the wind and waves, saying "Peace, be still". No yelling, no frantic efforts. Just speaking words that calmed not only the storm, but his friends.

May I find the right words and actions to help those who come across my path.

May we all be peacemakers in this crazy world.

Stay well, friends.

Our need for peace cries out to heaven as one of 
the deepest yearnings of the human heart. 

1 comment:

  1. I agree it is a "crazy" time we are living in right now and I could write so much more about it and how I feel the media has blown things so out of proportion but I will definitely agree with you that we must be diligent to keep ourselves healthy during this time but not panic and allow commonsense to take hold instead of fear. And that is how we can give peace to those around us. Know the facts, know the truth, educate people and above all else pray for them to have that perfect peace that can only come from Jesus. I think if we did just that, pray for peace that transcends understanding, some of the madness of what is going on right now will subside. I'm putting my thoughts about Covid 19 into a blog post if I can get the time to construct it and do justice to it.

    Meanwhile we will continue to pray and seek God's wisdom and guidance.

    betty

    ReplyDelete

Hey, thanks for popping by! I appreciate your visit and your comments :) It's fun to make new friends!