Another Five Minute Friday entry. Set the timer for minutes and freewrite from a single word prompt. You are welcome to join in :)
My definition of savour: To enjoy in a calm, non pressured environment.
Savoring the experience, living in the moment, is what I've been practicing a lot lately. Because.... we are moving!
We've lived in this house for almost 30 years. In that time, I've had toddlers, preschoolers, young children, tweens, teens, and young adults living in this house! Our family has pretty well grown up here. And that's a lot of memories! And I have a lot of emotions to go along with all those memories.
How am I savoring this time as I go through all of our belongings, deciding which to keep, which to give away, and which to sell?
I am pondering these two questions:
1. What am I going to miss when we move away from this house?
2. What am I NOT going to miss when we move away from this house?
Hopefully within 3 months, we will have listed and sold this house and moved into our new abode. Still in the same city, for those of you wondering!
One of the special moments I'm savoring these days is the view from our dining table. It sits in the corner of our kitchen with big windows on two sides, meeting at the corner. While sitting there, I can enjoy the bird feeder, only feet away, hanging off the edge of our deck roof. Watching and identifying the birds with my grandson has been such a special activity lately (He's almost 4!). He loves birds and is soaking up the names and characteristics of them. Pine siskins, yellow finches, and chickadees have all enjoyed our hulled sunflower seeds at the feeder. Just beyond the feeder is a huge pine tree that towers over our house. It's close enough so that we can see the birds jumping from branch to branch, flying in, and zipping out, seemingly playing hide and go seek with each other. That tree was about 7 feet tall when we moved here! Beyond the backyard are meadows, hills (some are hills of sand where trees have been removed over the years), and mountains. So many people have mentioned what a beautiful view we have from our deck. It does have its own beauty, for sure, especially in midsummer and midwinter. I have never tired of that view, and will miss it. Good thing I've taken about 1000 photos of it ;)
You know the saying "You don't know what you've got till it's gone?" In this case, I know what I've got.
You do have beautiful views!! How exciting with the move though! I'm sure you will savor pictures of the views that you will take with you. I heard if you are having to downsize, taking pictures of items helps to keep the memory preserved of them if you aren't going to take the items yourself. I have never regretted anything I've given away, even my wedding dress one move years ago LOL. I remember the scripture to store treasures in heaven, the only ones that don't rust, get old, etc. Good luck with the move! Can't wait to hear about your new abode down the line!
ReplyDeletebetty
I sure know just what you are going through. We moved almost 6 years ago from the home where we raised our 5 children for 25 years. I know it will be difficult. I believe and pray all those beautiful things you mentioned in your blog will be with you in your new place. We love bird watching to with our grandchildren. We have grown very fond of this new home. I believe it will be the same for you. God bless you and your family.
ReplyDeleteYes, what a beautiful view! I love your observing how savor only can happen without pressure. When the Israelites left Egypt they wouldn't have enough time for bread to rise, and maybe it didn't much matter to them that they'd need to eat hastily, too—when they arrived at the Promised Land they'd find plenty of gifts from the ground they'd have plenty of time to enjoy.
ReplyDeleteThanks for visiting my blog; you asked what number your hot and spicy but not TOO hot and spicy would be? As I did for myself, I'd say that depends on where you live. Scandinavia? About 8 or 9 compared to their flavorful yet not very spicy cuisine. India, Thailand? About a 3 or 4, because many people near the equator revel in culinary heat. Wishing you and all the world a Blessed Easter 2021!
Savour! That's one of my favorite words. Our daughter was 8 months old when we moved into our home 35 years ago. It's hard to imagine leaving it, but I know the day is coming. I am sure you will create many wonderful memories in your new home.
ReplyDelete