I do love a good challenge. I’ve completed a few this year, but this move has really caused me to lose my rhythms, be it regular reading times, yoga, walking and more! I am tired, my schedule is a mess, and my will power is drained. And the continued Covid craziness has definitely done a number on my mental health. Such a rollercoaster of emotions!
I haven’t yet found my way back to a daily
schedule. How will I recover what had
seemed like such a strong start to 2021? My will power muscle has depleted,
and fatigue has set in.
The meaning
of the word ‘recover’ is closely linked to the word ‘recuperate’. This makes
sense. According to Drew Dyck, author of Your Future Self Will Thank You,
the way to recover willpower is to rest, to meditate, to quiet the mind. Studies
show that this results in more focus, less stress, more impulse control and increased
self awareness.
To recover
the life I envision for myself, I also need to tap into the power of habit,
because, as John Ortberg says, “Habits eat willpower for breakfast!”. For this, I will
need to grow my self control muscle, a muscle that weakens immediately after
use but strengthens with frequent use. It
is important, therefore, to only create one
habit at a time. I cannot change too many things at once! I must prioritize
what’s important to me. I must pace myself.
I can begin to create those habits I’ve lost, one
at a time.
Recover is a hopeful word.
This is a writing challenge from Five Minute Friday. Write for 5 minutes without overthinking. Join in!
So true you need to pace yourself and recover one habit/schedule at a time. I'm still trying to recover my schedule from back in December 2019 when hubby retired and was home more and then I started working outside the house. I can't seem to find the time to pray/read the Bible and I definitely need to redevelop and recover those habits!
ReplyDeleteI think we can do it, one habit at a time, slow and steady!
betty
Oh my goodness, I could not love or agree with this more. Rest, find the quiet, one thing at a time, start the habits, the less you do, the more you will add. Absolutely love this.
ReplyDelete