Jul 29, 2022

Let's Find A Deal

 The weather has been so hot lately, it's not comfortable to be outside in the middle of the day. On a whim, I called up a friend and asked it she wanted to make a (air conditioned) run to Value Village. I had a short list of several kitchen items I was looking for. She was game. 

Before we headed there, we stopped at Bed, Bath, and Beyond. Surprise! They had an 80% off sale on the Sage brand. And there right smack dab in the middle of the aisle was a 16 pce set of Sage dishes. Since I was planning to look for mugs at Value Village, and to replace some camping plates, I decided to purchase this. $1.60 per item! That's cheaper than VV! And I liked the pattern and color. So, why not? Serendipity!

I'm not surprised I got a better deal at BB&B than at VV.   I am usually reluctant to shop at Value Village, as prices have risen a lot in the last few years. On used merchandise and clothing! They are charging at least $5 for a paperback book, and often I see T-shirts that cost more than what I'd pay at a regular department store.  Nope, I won't do that when I can go to another independent thrift store and get real deals.

If VV was a non-profit, I wouldn't hesitate as much. But they are a for profit business. So, there's that. 

But, sometimes it's worth it. And, there's always the 20% off coupon you receive if you donate items. Today, however, I completely overlooked the box of items I had sitting at home for this very purpose, as I was rushing out the door, so I had to pay full price. 

But I did find several items for cheap enough, and so did my girlfriend. Honestly, though, it was more about getting out together for a catch up chat, so the deals were a bonus! 

Are you a bargain hunter? 


Photo by Becca McHaffie on Unsplash

5 comments:

  1. Seemed like you got a good deal on those dishes from Bed, Bath and Beyond. I used to like to go to thrift stores and the like but they raised their prices so much, like you indicated. I used to get great bargains on clothes for my grandson or toys. Now men's shirts are $15 or more. A few dollars more you can get a brand new one. And you are right, it is ridiculous what they charge for used books. So these days I don't frequent those types of stores anymore.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find here in the UK Charity shops (our equivalent to Thrift shops) vary hugely in how they price their goods. I picked up a couple of books the other day at less than £1 each whereas some shops will charge £2-£3 for them. I certainly wouldn't be buying clothes at almost the cost of new ones. Sounds like you got a good deal on the dishes though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like Bed, Bath and Beyond and often get good deals there; but haven't heard of VV. Don't think we have those hear. Sounds like you a good day with a double win win. You got to spending time with a friend, got a good deal, and spend time in the AC! Bravo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to shop the thrift shop when my kids were small. They grew so quickly and I found lots of cute things. These days with discount stores like TJ Maxx and Homegoods, I can find lots of lovely seasonal items and clothes for the grandkids at reasonable prices.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Waving hi, as I make my blog rounds.

    ReplyDelete

Hey, thanks for popping by! I appreciate your visit and your comments :) It's fun to make new friends!