A new year is upon us.
None of us knows what these twelve months will bring. Some of us have already experienced tremendous highs and devastating lows. And we're only a month in.
What I do know is that it's important to be intentional about celebrating the little joys in life, even (or perhaps especially) in the middle of heart breaking, overwhelming, anxiety producing news.
I also want to be part of bringing light and hope to others. Yes, in ways that I am uniquely created to do. If I feel prompted to act or speak in an encouraging way, I'm learning to quit overthinking and take the step and do it. Leave the outcome to Someone bigger than me. I am, of course, a work in progress.
This year, I've taken a few steps to bring (or keep) more joy in my life. That means I've added a new practice or two and ended others. But how to determine what to change?
I'm a fan of doing some regular reflection - attempting to make a habit of month end and year end (and sometimes day's end) reviews. What worked? What didn't work? What brought me joy? What drained me? What do I want more of? What do I want less of, or even to eliminate from my life at this time? When did I feel close to God? When did I feel distant? How did I fill my days? Sometimes you really don't know until you take some quiet moments to sit and think and perhaps journal reflectively. The next step might become clearer.
A few gifts I've enjoyed this month:
- almost daily 20 minute yoga
- a daily morning coffee/latte from our new Nespresso machine (crema...yum!)
- having a church acquaintance over for supper on a whim
- enjoying Harry Potter book #3-- no, I've never read them until this past month or so. I've watched the first movie.
- spotting a tiny (northern pygmy?) owl perched on a rock near our shrubs, staring at me as I stepped outside near the end of the day #abirdfromtheLord :)
Have you uncovered the gifts in your everyday life? Take a little time to look for them. They are there.



Love your list, Aneta. I’m adding a new things this year and letting go of many more. We are through the darkest time of the year but still a long way from spring (especially here in Saskatchewan!). The news is crushing (at least it feels that way this morning). Without paying attention and noticing these small graces, it would be easy to fall into despair.
ReplyDelete