Into every life a little rain must fall. And sometimes it feels like a hurricane!
I was reading an interesting book called The Gifts of Imperfection by Brene Brown. She talks about resilience – the ability to overcome adversity. Basically, it’s the opposite of powerlessness, where you may feel at the mercy of whatever situation you are in. Brown lists a few characteristics of resilient people:
1. They are resourceful and have good problem solving skills.
2. They are more likely to seek help.
3. They hold the belief that they can do something that will help them to manage their feelings and to cope.
4. They have social support available to them.
5. They are connected with others, such as family and friends.
“Without exception, spirituality – the belief in connection, a power greater than self, and interconnections grounded in love and compassion—emerged as a component of resilience.” p. 64
Some days I feel less resilient than others!
I know what you mean - being resilient takes a special spirit. I'm not always very resilient and I do feel down about things, being single or being unpublished. But... having a social support system on here is helpful. :)
ReplyDeleteI try to be resilient, but am often too shy to ask for help. Great post! ~ Angela, Whole Foods Living, http://www.wholefoodsliving.blogspot.com/
ReplyDelete