A couple of days ago, I stood in front of the bathroom mirror, dollar store scissors in hand. It was a Desperate Hair Day. I was irritated and impatient. I heard my little head voice begging me NOT to do it.
The little voice persisted, but I ignored it. Next thing I knew, there were hair tufts all over the counter and sink. My longish sideswept bangs were no more. They were short. In less than 60 seconds, I made a mess of my hair. I sort of fixed it, but not really. I felt like a little kid whose mom would appear any moment, with hand on hips asking what in the world I was up to .
On the weekend I visited the salon where someone, who was trained with scissors, salvaged my hatchet job.
Good thing about my hair… it grows back.
Notes to self: It’s a good idea to pay attention to that persistent little voice of reason.
Have you ever done-something-yourself to save time and/or $, against your better judgment?
Photo credit: mconnors from morguefile.com
I've been tempted to take scissors to my hair but thankfully I've caught myself in time; mainly because I can't cut a straight line to save myself, LOL.
ReplyDeleteI remember one time running out of dishwasher soap and substituting the soap you use to wash dishes by hand. That was a mistake; suds all over the kitchen :)
have a great day!
betty
Oh, I've done that, too! But accidentally... or that's how I remember it! ;)
DeleteHa ha..you are so funny...I'd like to have seen a pic!
ReplyDeleteI'm sure I have done something of the same..I have used scissors to cut my own hair and I've used reg soap in the dishwasher with the same effects.
I think I have a brain that likes to forget my mistakes so I don't rightly remember any more!
Sounds like a good plan.. sometimes a weakened memory is a good thing! :)
DeleteOh Noooooooooooooo!!! I had one of those days a few years back. but, I landed at the salon and ended up donating my hair to Locks of Love. My hubby was pretty surprised to come home to shoulder length hair. I cut off 8-10 inches!! ~ Angela, Whole Foods Living, http://www.wholefoodsliving.blogspot.com/
ReplyDeleteI'm too afraid to cut my hair; it grows so slowly!
ReplyDeleteGlad everything turned out okay. :)
Glad my hair grows fairly quickly!
DeleteI cut my kids' hair a few times when they were really little. Every time I look at a picture from those days, I really regret it. Sigh.
ReplyDeleteI used to cut my own hair as a teen all the time. It always looked pretty good.
I still cut my kids' hair! (not all of them, mind you..just the ones who are desperate to save a buck and are willing to risk a hair cut from their mom!)
DeleteMy daughter learned from someone who knew, how to cut her bangs. I got brave and had her do mine on Sunday and it was VERY successful!
ReplyDeleteBad way to try to save money: go to the "bad place" (WalMart) for "just one thing" that's cheaper there...ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS end up spending more one other stuff than would have saved by getting whatever it was cheaper there.
The "little voice" talked to me last week, when I was going to make an extra payment to the bank. The payment wasn't due for a few weeks but since I had the money I wanted to get it out of the way. The little voice said not to make it yet. I opened the envelope the payment was in, tore up the check, voided it in my check register, wrote a NEW check, addressed the new envelops and sent it in (I add that detail to let you know that I did NOT want the hassle of listening to the voice!). I was very glad I'd gone to the trouble of doing all that when an unexpected bill came in and I could pay it from the payment I hadn't made.
As God has taken care of the bills from the paper I publish every single month for more than 3 years...I'm sure He will come through again and I'll get the payment made.
Great story! Love how that works out!
DeleteI nearly did the same thing a few weeks ago. Thankfully Paige talked me out of it!
ReplyDeleteSometimes our children are our voice of reason! :)
DeleteWhen my daughter was 11, she shaved off her eyebrows, thinking that's how you tweeze and shape them. It was hilarious and sad at the same time. She's now 31 and hates doing anything w/ her brows!
ReplyDeleteHa! Good thing they grew back! Sounds like it was pretty traumatizing! Kids do the funniest things!
DeleteHello! I love your blog and have nominated you for the Kreativ Blogger Award 2012. Check out my post: http://wholefoodsliving.blogspot.com/2012/05/kreativ-blogger-award-2012.html
ReplyDeleteThanks! ~Angela, Whole Foods Living
Thanks, Angela! That is SWEET! I'm honored! :)
DeleteI've done the hair cutting thing a few times but I don't think it hurt all that much. My last big snafu was a do-it-myself removal of a garbage disposal and replacing it with plain old drain pipes. I ended up with all sorts of leaks that couldn't figure out how to stop. I ended up calling in someone to straighten out my mess.
ReplyDeleteLee
Wrote By Rote
Yikes! Glad it worked out..even though you ended up having to pay for it!
Delete