Our neighbours – new to us in the last year – recently acquired a HUGE dog. A bull mastiff to be exact. He’s only a puppy but he is gigantic already. One day Capone will probably be 150 lbs. He’s probably at least 70 lbs right now.
one day Capone will look like this
Capone scares me. Until recently, I haven’t really had the chance to meet him, since he usually sees me from a distance when I’m getting into or out of my car, or when I’m walking through my backyard. So, he barks. A deep, growly, throaty bark.
A couple of evenings ago, we were sitting on our deck and Capone was in his backyard. I asked my husband to come with me to the fence to meet the dog. Just so you know, I would never attempt this on my own, but I figured if hubby accompanied me (or rather, I accompanied him), and things got out of hand, he would take on the dog and I could scamper back up to the safety of our deck! Pitiful, aren’t I?
Anyway, armed with doggie treats, Dave walked on up to the chain link fence between our properties. Capone barked loudly, obviously a little frightened, and backed away. Luckily, his owner was looking over his deck and came down. We mentioned we’d like to meet his dog. So, as soon as Scott walked up to us, Capone followed. Dave gave the pup a treat and then I did the same thing. Capone instantly jumped up, putting his two large paws on the fence railing and there we were – eye to eye!
I know it will take a few more meetings before I am more comfortable with this massive canine. Hopefully he’ll remember the treats I brought him the first time we met, and we’ll become fast friends, despite his intimidating size.
Have you ever head the advice “Do one thing everyday that scares you”? It’s how you grow as a person, facing your fears, one step at a time. Stretching. Leaving your comfort zone.
For some people, something scary can mean leaving the house or telling someone how they really feel. For others, it can be bungee jumping or looking over the railing of an apartment on the 42nd floor. Or flying. Or quitting a job . Or leaving a bad relationship. Or trusting God. Or going eyeball to eyeball with a dog whose head is bigger than theirs.
I admit it, I do have a few fears. With my overactive imagination, I can paint so many scenarios of what might or could happen. Mind you, over the years, I have done some things that truly scare me, and am glad I did. It seems, though, that I never ‘arrive’ at that place where it becomes easy. Easier, but not easy. Maybe that’s just the way it is. One step at a time, over and over.. Knowing that God is always with me, as I walk through.
Do you regularly make a point of doing things that scare you? Has that changed your life?
Bet he'll be a big baby! :) Our newish puppy isn't that big, but has a big bark. He's a wuss to us, but sounds serious to strangers.
ReplyDeleteYou're smart to go meet him, and sounds as if you have pretty neat neighbors. That dog (love the name!) will probably be a good protection for your property as well.
Hopefully you and that doggy will become good pals. Seems like you'd want to have Capone on your side!
ReplyDeleteTrying to write a real book scares me. I think of people I know - like you - who have done it and I just don't know how you did it! I keep wanting to start - but I don't. In fact, I should be doing that now, but instead I'm checking blogs.
That's great that you're trying to overcome your fears. I think it'll be a good thing to befriend the neightbors dog. He might be a good pal in the future:)
ReplyDeleteNutschell
www.thewritingnut.com
Wow he is a big dog! I think I'd be a bit scared of him too! That is great that you try to overcome your fears like that! Honestly, I tend to go the other way, LOL and avoid them at all possible. Maybe I should meet them head on; great advice you gave here!
ReplyDeleteenjoy the weekend!
betty
You are wise to make friends with that dog now, while he is still too small to eat you in one bite. :-) I think I will stick with Fergus.
ReplyDeleteI think it is good to take on some fears, but I also think it is okay to just acknowledge that there are some things you are always going to be afraid of and accept that about yourself rather than beat yourself up about it. For instance, I am horribly afraid of snakes. I have no plans to try to get over that in my lifetime.
I agree-I think it's OK to be afraid of some things and just accept that. My fear is bats...
DeleteThere are some things that, as a person, I just don't enjoy. While I accept that in myself, sometimes I still challenge myself to do those things. One recent example is going to graduation parties. Unless I know I'll know most of the people there I just do not enjoy going. HOwever, I've gone to several parties where I just know the graduate and his/her parents. I don't stay long--and that is ok too! It was a feeling of satisfaction to step out of my comfort zone and I proved I could do it--but I won't be going out of my way to prove it any time soon!
Big dogs can be such love hounds! Although he seems large to you, remember that you are still bigger. He is likely scared of you! While Capone is new, always visit him with his owner around. And a tasty treat is always a good idea! (With the dog's owner's permission of course!) Good luck facing your fear. Months down the road you'll probably be friends! :) ~Angela
ReplyDeleteYikes! That dog would scare me too!
ReplyDeleteI've done a few things in my life that scared me. Sometimes I was glad that I did and other times not so much.
I think this dog is a bit scary too...might take me a while to warm up. :-) I generally avoid things that scare me! But, I know that's not helpful, or mature. When I was younger, I was terrified of public speaking. Then God roped me into teaching, and I did that for 12 years. It was not something I chose, but looking back, it was absolutely right and wonderful. God knew. I learned so much and was so blessed by it, and public speaking does not bother me at all today. :-)
ReplyDeleteI like what you said about making a point to do things that scare you. I've been sitting here trying to decide if I do that, but obviously, if I need to think about it this hard, I probably don't.
ReplyDeleteI just read mare's comment. I, too, was a teacher, which was a career I never thought I'd have. I was always terrified of speaking in public; how could I teach? I don't know how it happened, but I did teach--and I enjoyed it. I guess I do face my fears--just maybe not every day. :)