We live in a culture of entitlement. Whether it’s being healthy, having nice clothes, not having to wait too long in line-ups, taking holidays to exotic places, living a stress-free life, having a marriage where we always get what we want.. it seems that nowadays people not only want these things, they almost demand them. I think there’s an epidemic of me-itis going around. And I’ve been infected.
What if we lived like every day was a gift? Nothing we deserved but truly a gift. Every simple thing. Waking up in a warm bed with a roof over my head. I’m alive. Blessing. Waking up next to my husband – he’s alive and he loves me. Blessing. A fridge that has food in it, even though the fridge seems too small. A washing machine that works (even though it’s probably over 20 years old and it’s not a fancy schmancy front loader). Carrying around extra weight (hey, I get to eat more than I need!). An imperfect life reminds me that I need God. Blessing.
I really believe the most unhappy people are those who only think of themselves and what they want. It really is more blessed to give than to receive, even though it seems backwards. People who get everything they want and spend their life acquiring it are not really the most satisfied people. These are truths I must regularly remind myself of.
When I start feeling a ‘winter of discontent’ coming on, I need to remind myself of this prayer:
Lord,
Give me enough food to live on,
neither too much nor too little.
If I'm too full, I might get independent,
saying, 'God? Who needs him?'
If I'm poor, I might steal
and dishonor the name of my God."
Proverbs 30:8-9
Lord, thanks for all you give me.
Amen!! I totally agree with you; It truly is more blessed to give than to receive; I would rather give any old day rather than get. We are so blessed; we just need to stop and look around and see how truly blessed we are! great thoughts!
ReplyDeletebetty
Isn't it the truth. We are so blessed that sometimes we don't even realize exactly how blessed we are. If we each could share but a fraction of our blessings what a better world it could be.
ReplyDeleteLee
Tossing It Out
Sometimes the simple things in life are the most enjoyable. People are too materialistic these days and we seem to be living in a culture of 'want, want, want.'
ReplyDeleteThis post is a good "thankfulness reminder." And about front loader washing machines - they aren't all they are cracked up to be.
ReplyDeleteSo very true! Each day is a gift and we should treat it that way. :)
ReplyDeleteReally well said Aneta. I couldn't agree more!
ReplyDelete