Jun 17, 2012

Glad to have my Dad!

One thing I know for sure—families aren’t perfect, but there’s something to be said for families sticking together. Dad and mom and kids together working out their lives – extending love, acceptance, and forgiveness to each other. Over and over and over.

I love my parents. But since today’s Father’s Day, I’ll focus on my ‘dear ol’ dad’.

Dad got married in his early 20’s. He hoped to travel the world and adventure, but he married my mom instead and the children came along quickly and in rapid succession. ;) Four children in less than 4 years.. and then 3 more after that. My dad knew what the word commitment meant and he has lived it out his entire life. He worked many jobs over the years just to keep his family fed and clothed. He never thought about giving up.

One thing I KNOW-- My dad is crazy about my mom. No, they don’t have a perfect marriage (and yes, sometimes their ‘ways’ drive me completely nuts!). But do you know how much security there is in knowing that your parents are there for each other for the long haul? I don’t think there is anything more sexy or romantic than ‘old’ people still in love.

Another thing I KNOW – My dad is crazy about his kids. Every one of them. No matter what. No matter the choices they’ve made. No matter how ‘successful’ or ‘unsuccessful’ (whatever that might mean). He has always been there for them. I remember my dad writing me a letter when I became a teacher and had my first teaching position in a small island town in the middle of nowhere, it seemed. He told me how proud he was of me and how blessed those students of mine were to have me for their teacher. At that moment my insecurities dimmed.  It mattered that my dad thought I was the best. What a confidence booster!

And another thing I KNOW – My dad is crazy about his faith in Jesus. No matter what has come his way. Through the good times, the bad times, the feasts and the famines, heartache, joys, boring or exciting times, my dad has modeled to us a love of God. Not in words so much, but in deeds. My dad’s a quiet kind of guy (I’m a lot like him, actually).  My dad introduced me to some of the best books out there on knowing and loving God. I often perused his wall of books for ones that I might want to read. My dad (and mom) took us to church every Sunday when we were young. He introduced us to different denominations. But, as the years went by, he made a point of showing us it wasn’t about religion, but about a relationship with God. So thankful for a dad who pointed us in the right direction!

No, my dad’s not perfect. But he’s perfect for ME! Happy Father’s Day to my wonderful Pops!

Jan 12 060 Here he is bestowing yet another gift upon my wonderful mom (for her birthday last winter).

5 comments:

  1. What a nice tribute to your dad. And you look like him. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a special relationship - lovely post

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great tribute to him; how neat to have all those siblings too! Your parents make a beautiful couple!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  4. How sweet. Dads don't get enough praise. I'm sure your dad will love this tribute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful post to celebrate your father! Excellent!

    ReplyDelete

Hey, thanks for popping by! I appreciate your visit and your comments :) It's fun to make new friends!