Nov 3, 2012

Ulterior Motives

Halloween has come and gone (thankfully). It's just weird, in my humble opinion.

 If it's done right, though, it can be a lot of fun.

For example, when our kids were growing up, we would all head out to our friends' acreage and have a bonfire and share a potluck supper with about 20-30 other friends and friends-of-friends. There would be a hayride and the kids would go off and just play to their heart's content (and develop very strange, but popular social games, which would carry over into the next year's Halloween get together!) We all would bring our own little bags of candy for our own kids. They never wanted to do the traditional trick-or-treating much at all (although we did it a few times in the earlier years). Those were the days..

But now that we're empty nesters, I had to ask myself what to do this year?

Turn out the lights and pretend we're not home? - been there, done that, bo-ring. 

 Go visit friends or family? - too tired and lazy to make the effort

Buy candy and hand it out? - what a novel idea!!

So, I texted my dear hubster and asked him to pick up a box of chocolate bars on the way home for the neighbourhood children. I expected some sort of push back, but none came. All I received was a 'what size?'. Wow, he was sure accommodating!

So, I poured the mini (and I mean MINI) chocolate bars into the bowl and placed it on the stairs near the front door.  I waited. And waited.

Not ONE  "Halloween Apples" or "Trick or Treat" was heard.  Our neighbourhood is pretty quiet and really, kids are smart enough to go to where they can accumulate the most candy while expending the least amount of energy.  Our homes on larger lots -- not too enticing.

So, I ate a bar (or two). And so did he.

"So, now I can take these snacks to work everyday", he says to me.

Oh, now I get it.




6 comments:

  1. Cute post! We absolutely had no trick or treaters either, but lots of candy leftover :)

    It is a strange "holiday". I struggle with it every year.I think it is neat to celebrate with costumes and games, etc., I just don't like the concept of going door to door to get candy from strangers when we tell our kids not to take things from strangers. Its kind of like a double standard for one day and to me that seems a bit odd.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha. I guess you read my rant so you know my opinion =) We did love the harvest party I must say!!
    We left lights on till 6 pm this year and didn't get a single one either. Saw a few bigger kids out later when we were creeping around the house in the dark.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved Halloween when I was a kid. Now I find it to be a bit of a hassle. We've really enjoyed taking part in Candy Planet the last few years, and Halloween is my sister's favorite holiday and she always has a big party. The kids always have a Halloween dance at school too, so it always ends up being a three or four day thing. I do my best to get into it for the sake of everybody else, but really, I'd rather tone it down a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the excuse to dress up and have a party...most people get pretty creative! My friend and I were talking about Halloween and how it used to be such a cool community thing, where different families in the neighbourhood actually interact with one another (not our family obviously, but we had the harvest party and that was fun)...now, everyone just goes to the mall for the quick candy pay-off! Even parents get coupons and stuff when you go there, apparently.
    We didn't get any trick or treaters either, but we did get some highschool students doing "Halloween for Hunger", during which they collected non-perishable food items for the food bank. I thought that was a fantastic idea!
    BTW, those chocolate bars are organic, and fair-trade right? ;)
    Just kidding...save me some.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to love getting dressed up with my littles and enjoyed the school halloween parties and gatherings but it is harder to get in the spirit with my kids all going in different directions. This year was a first for me no lights on, hiding in my basement...it was ok but I do look forward to grandbabies and costumes and maybe gramma and grampa will have a little halloween party for them...but that is still many years away...but fun to imagine!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Living out in the country, we've never had trick-or-treaters come to our door. Which bums me out because I would love to hand out candy. It also means that we always had to drive our kids to a "real" neighborhood so that they could go trick-or-treating. Of course, this year Paige just drove herself. :)

    ReplyDelete

Hey, thanks for popping by! I appreciate your visit and your comments :) It's fun to make new friends!