Feb 27, 2013

I Crave, Therefore I Eat

Tonight I only had one thing on my mind when I got home -- homemade rice pudding. So, I did what any woman would do when she has a craving-- I made it happen. It took a half hour and now I can sit here and enjoy the fruits of my labour.

Hubby doesn't like rice pudding, so I don't have to save any for him.

I've always enjoyed eating soft food... cream pies, puddings, porridges, baby food, pablum, brinta. Yep, baby food, as an adult. It was usually "one spoonful for you, one spoonful for Mommy" when I was feeding the kids pureed apricots. Oh. my.

When we were young, my mom used to make a 'poor man's porridge' called broodpap in Dutch. It was literally 'bread porridge'. She would use all the loaf ends, crusts, and slices of white bread, break them up and cook them on the stove top with milk and maybe a bit of butter, letting it simmer a good while. When it was done, it was a soggy but most delicious steaming mixture of bread and milk. Sounds awful, but it was the tastiest (with sugar liberally sprinkled on top, of course)! I loved the texture.

I think that's why I love rice pudding. It brings back childhood memories of comfort foods.

 

3 comments:

  1. My mom would make it with leftover rice, so as not to be wasteful. I cannot find a recipe for it using rice that is already cooked. Do you have one?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rice pudding is a favourite with our kids as well. Most of them have learned to make it early on. That bread recipe sounds good if it had a little cinnamon in it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE rice pudding. And cream pies. And tapioca pudding. And mousses. All the creamy things.

    ReplyDelete

Hey, thanks for popping by! I appreciate your visit and your comments :) It's fun to make new friends!