Written by Betty Smith, also author of A Tree Grows In Brooklyn, this is my all time favourite novel. Originally published in 1963, I reread Joy In The Morning every five years or so, for two reasons. Firstly, I really love this uplifting, simple, realistic story of young married love and pursuing dreams. Secondly, every few years, I forget the details of the story, so it's almost like I'm reading it for the first time!
It's 1927, and 18 year old Annie leaves her home in New York to travel to the Midwestern University to marry her fiance Carl, who is studying law. Their first year of marriage isn't easy as they struggle through poverty and other hardships. Their story is full of love and loyalty as they grow together as a couple and follow their dreams. It's simply a great feel-good story that begs to be read more than once.
Do you own a book you simply have to reread now and then?
Oh, speaking of joy, Buddy the Cat spells joy this way: B-O-X


I loved A Tree Grows In Brooklyn and am so happy to know she wrote another book. Thanks for the review!
ReplyDeleteSounds like a good book, I'll have to look it up. Hmm, books I have to reread... maybe Pride and Prejudice? No, now that I think of it, Les Miserables. I love Victor Hugo! His writing is beautiful!
ReplyDeleteBy the way, thanks for the laugh. :)Buddy the Cat spells joy this way: B-O-X. Cute!
Have fun with a-z.
I'm going to order this one. I've never read it or even heard of it, sounds like my kind of book though.
ReplyDeletePeanut Butter and Whine
I loved loved, a Tree grows in Brooklyn. I had no idea she wrote another book, thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeletehttp://sisterswhat.blogspot.com