I haven't been reading a lot of fiction lately, but when this book came available as a free Kindle book, I whisked it to my device and started in on it. And I LOVED it. It's the story of seven members of a Presbyterian church who form the official search committee for a new pastor. Young, old, women, men, lovable, eccentric, frustrating... They drive together in an old Econoline van and visit different churches each weekend in search of the perfect pastor for their church. The characters are so well developed that I couldn't help being drawn into the story. These very different personalities learn to appreciate and support each other as they slowly learn more about each others' stories. As well, there was so much good humour in the story, sometimes I laughed out loud. And I don't do that very often while reading! Imagine a group of seven people visiting a small church to 'scope out' the pastor, but not wanting anyone at the church to know that's what they are doing! The story felt 'real' to me, like it really does happen like this in some churches. This is the first novel by Tim Owens, but I certainly hope it's not his last!

I can certainly relate to this storyline. I was part of the most recent pastoral search committee at the church I attend. The experience was eye-opening. The church membership really dwindled after we made our selection, but I think we go the right staff. The people who left didn't like the true message that is being taught now. The Bible can be tough on some when they're expecting easy.
ReplyDeleteLee
Wrote By Rote
An A to Z Co-host blog