Yes, I know I've been away from this blog for far too long, but sometimes it just seems like more of a chore than a joy to blog, so I take an indefinite break. But it seems my brain never stops. I still find myself saying Oh, that would make a good blog post... so I guess once a blogger, always a blogger, even if it's only in my head!
So, this is what it looked like yesterday...truly a wintry sight! Which made for a cozy stay-at-home day. Who needs to brave the crazy shopping malls with all its hustle and bustle when one has the option to sit, sip tea, and look out of the window, taking in the quiet?
Speaking of yummy, because I felt like I completely missed a week of Christmas prep due to being away from home, I opted to purchase four homemade apple pies from our church fundraiser instead of making my signature pies. The verdict is out. Son's comment 'They aren't like your pies, Mom' means they didn't pass his taste test. It seems the apple filling lacks a bit in the flavor department. The pies sure do look good, and I'm sure they are fine, but nothing beats traditional desserts. I gave one of the pies to my neighbour as a Christmas gift. Hope she liked them. I opted not to tell her I didn't make them. Maybe I should have!
Today was a 'back to work' day for me. I figured since D had to get back into work mode for a day before the weekend, I could do the same and get some much needed work (computer work) done. Because I took a week off in early December to visit my Alberta family, I am a little behind and will have to play catch up for a while.
I also did some baking. So soon after Christmas? Yes, my dear son is leaving town for work elsewhere and I thought I'm send him off with homemade banana bread, one of his favorites. It could be a long, slow trip to the Island, depending on the weather. So, at least he'll have something yummy to nosh on.
I didn't do a lot of baking this year at all. Just a few favorites.. and these are definitely my faves.... mocha truffles. Pure heavenly deliciousness. And you know what made them even better this year? I sprinkled sea salt on them! Sweet and Salty... oh my!!



I've missed you here. But understand you not feeling the urge. Good to see pictures and hear details of your holiday. Btw, still loving this background on your blog. :) Hugs to you, sweet friend.
ReplyDeleteWow, look at the snow! So pretty go look at (but not be in ;)
ReplyDeleteSounds like you did a nice amount of baking; too cute your son critqued the other pies and found them lacking. I did the similiar thing with a favorite my mom made, nut roll, that my niece had made this year. While her's was delicious, it wasn't my mom's; Now we look forward to warmer weather and new adventures in 2014!
betty
I've missed you too...I've started buying my apple pies from the green grocer by Canadian Tire aberdeen and they have been a smashing success...best pies ever...just in case you want to try them :)
ReplyDeleteBack to blogging! My work here is done.
ReplyDeleteMocha truffles with sea salt sounds very yummy! I hear you about the pie thing. My kids are traditional food junkies! I found time to make my pies this year but a couple hours before Christmas dinner I dropped them as I was transporting them to the top of the freezer outside to make room in the kitchen - pie and glass all over my back porch. I guess you could say they were a "smashing" success! :-(
ReplyDelete