Mar 5, 2014

The Lent Post

It's Ash Wednesday (almost over by the time I post this), the first day of Lent. I've considered participating in it this year, but I just wasn't sure. Talked to God about it. Talked to a friend about it, but nothing felt quite right. I didn't want to just give up an out-of-control habit for 40 days. Instead, I felt it would be better to discipline myself in areas of concern.



Then I came across this and it felt right. This is my prayer for the next 40 days. This is my fast, by the grace of God. One moment at a time. One decision at a time. 









A special Lenten fast

Give up harsh words: use generous ones.
Give up unhappiness: take up gratitude.
Give up anger: take up gentleness and patience.
Give up pessimism: take up hope and optimism.
Give up worrying: take up trust in God.
Give up complaining: value what you have.
Give up stress: take up prayer.
Give up judging others: discover Jesus within them.
Give up sorrow and bitterness: fill your heart with joy.
Give up selfishness: take up compassion for others.
Give up being unforgiving: learn reconciliation.
Give up words: fill yourself with silence, and listen to others.

Anonymous, Latin America


Oh, and I've decided to keep an Artful Lent journal, as well. Intrigued? Check it out here

How about you? Are you practicing Lent in some form this year? 

5 comments:

  1. The artful Lent journal looks interesting. Good things to strive to fast on this lenten season! I don't think I'm practicing Lent in some form this year.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that looks like a great thing to do! I'm not practicing Lent, but I wish you the best with it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Neta! Oh yes, I am keeping the Lenten Season. I like the prayer you put up here. I think a lot of people get scared away from Lent because they think it's too hard, or too full of rules. But this prayer is such a wonderful way to pray just to be a better person. Who could argue with that?

    Thank you for your recent visit. I am so happy for you that you get to see Amy Grant in concert with the Philharmonic! Wow! I hope you write about it :)
    Happy Weekend,
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is the first year in quite a few that I'm not giving anything up for Lent. But I am doing the challenge to read through the New Testament during Lent which is actually huge for me since I've always struggled with reading my Bible.

    ReplyDelete

Hey, thanks for popping by! I appreciate your visit and your comments :) It's fun to make new friends!