Motherhood. Such a loaded word, don't you think? So many emotions are wrapped up in that one word.
I am sure no one will argue that life changes a LOT when one becomes a mother.
There is no love like a mother's love. It's imperfect, yet so strong.
Who does a mother love more than her own children? I would venture to say no one. And because of this, when there is pain in the world, and mothers are involved, it runs very, very deep.
Sometimes, with the ubiquitous "Hallmark" promotions of Mother's Day, we tend to gloss over the realities for many. Motherhood isn't all about flowers and smiles and hugs and 'perfect mom' cards. Mother's Day can be painful. For those who have wanted children, but are unable to; for those who have lost children through adoption or sickness or an untimely death; for those who are emotionally distant from their children or their mother-- Mother's Day can be a very sad day for both parents and children.
I hope we remember those who may be crying inwardly tomorrow. I hope we don't overlook them at our churches. I hope they don't feel awkward as mothers are recognized. I hope they know they are loved by God and others.
I have begun reading Half the Church by Carolyn Custis James and it is timely, what with the news circulating of the recent kidnapping (3 weeks ago) of almost 200 young Nigerian boarding school girls. The extremist group Boku Haram has taken responsibility for this atrocity. They believe that girls should not be educated, and have plans to sell the girls as 'wives' for about $12 each. I cannot imagine the desperation and fear these girls are going through and the pain, outrage, and helplessness their mothers are feeling. They have no idea where there girls are and up till recently, nothing has been done. It has taken almost 3 weeks for the international community to mobilize. Please pray that these girls will be released unharmed, and that this extremist group will have a change of heart. I know it will be a miracle. It is just simply overwhelming to even imagine this happening to our own girls.
If you have (or had) a loving relationship with your mom, thank God for that blessing in your life. But it doesn't have to be perfect to be beautiful, right? None of us is, and when we love imperfectly with our whole hearts, it really can be beautiful.
Thank you, God, for the beautiful gifts of my four children!! My life is better because of them!
So true about those women who are dreading tomorrow for a variety of reasons. I know I used to hate Mother's Day with our years of infertility before we adopted. I have heard of some churches addressing the issue and saying a prayer that includes those that desire to be mother's. (In a way, I wish the church would kind of gloss over Mother's/Father's Day and not say much about it).
ReplyDeleteIt is so sad about those girls in Nigeria. I can't imagine what they and their mothers are going through. They have been in my prayers.
I do hope you have a very nice Mother's Day tomorrow.
betty
Very well said Aneta...very thoughtful. I am praying for those young girls and for everyone in pain on this Mothers day. I hope yours is a good one!
ReplyDeleteHi Aneta! Thank you for your recent visit!
ReplyDeleteAnd thank you for reminding us all to pray for these poor children, taken by the extremist group in Nigeria. I can't imagine what the girls are going through, much less the moms. It's such a tragedy.
I hope you had a good Mothers Day yesterday. My daughter's family was in, and it was busy and fun. Today, I'm tired!!
Blessings,
Ceil