I've been thinking a lot about the book Praying for Strangers which I finished a few weeks ago. Part of me wants to be like the author, walking through her fears, to approach people offering to pray for them.
I hardly have ANY friends who aren't followers of Jesus. Pretty sad, eh? I work for a Christian school. I go to Bible studies. I volunteer for a faith based organization. But today, I got to thinking about who I interact with now and then, sometimes even chatting it up for a bit.
There's..
Eileen at the corner store
Emma, the egg lady down the street
the lady at the farmer's market who sells me tea (the best tea EVER!)
my dental assistant
my hair stylist
Nancy, my neighbour and friend of almost 20 years
the newer neighbours on the other side of us
the couple who rent from us
the lady at the checkout counter at the local grocery store
the lady at the dollar store I frequent
the librarian
Linda, the mail carrier
my chiropractor
the people I pass as I'm walk/running around the neighborhood
I think God is beginning to show me how many people there are in my life whom I could be praying for (even if they don't know it).
I have just begun volunteering as an online mentor with Truth Media this past month. I had picked up a little brochure on it at least 8 years ago, and I tucked it away in a drawer . A couple of years ago, a friend mentioned it, which reminded me that I still had that info. Well, the time was finally 'right' for me to look into it, and now, after some initial training, and a great support system, I have begun 'coming alongside' people from all walks of life who have asked for prayer online. I think it's going to be a great fit for me. And I am excited about how my faith will grow through this. Sometimes life is overwhelming and there are no easy answers. But God IS still the answer.
Who knows where a simple conversation may lead...?
I read your post earlier concerning the book Praying for Strangers when you gave a review. What a blessing it is for me to come back here later and find that the Lord has kept that book on your heart and He is showing you how you can be used to pray for others. I LOVE it!
ReplyDeleteI have not read the book you mentioned, but last fall the Lord began giving me a burden for those around me when I went to the grocery store. He opened my eyes and heart to just how much these folks (including the cashiers and baggers) needed to be loved by Him. I told Him I was willing...and what a joy it has been! I guess you could say He opened the eyes to my heart then as He is doing for you now.
And I am so excited for you!
I think sometimes because we are surrounded by fellow Believers so much of the time we can easily forget those out there who need to experience the love and forgiveness of Jesus.
A beautiful post! And I'm going to join your site today!
Thanks for stopping by and following my blog, Dianna! I agree, it does give us joy when when we share God's love even in very small ways.
DeleteSince I read your post, I've been more sensitive about praying for strangers I encounter. I know one of our pastors at church as a heart for reaching out to people she encounters along the way, praying for them often on the spot. I'm not sure I'll ever get that comfortable with it. That online mentoring looked interesting; might have to do some more reading about it.
ReplyDeletebetty
It's worth investigating! Let me know how it goes. :)
DeleteIt's interesting how different folk's lives are. I'm surrounded by unbelievers, or at least folks who appear to give God a wave and that's all. Our neighborhood is filled, at least where I can see, with those who don't go to church, and I've always found that sad. I can count on one hand, or even three fingers the ones whose houses I can see who attend church, or profess any faith.
ReplyDeleteEither folks are very private, or the Christian life is very unpopular in my range of vision.
It's true, things have changed a lot.
DeleteThat's awesome! It is neat that this is a way to reach out to people online. People bring their vulnerable self online because being behind a screen allows them to let their guard down a bit. I bet that this will be a fantastic way for you to touch the heart of strangers with God's love. And it might open up the way for more confidence approaching people out in the world as well. I will pray for you that God talks to you while you're out and about, giving you an indication of who needs prayer or a word of encouragement or whatever. This is very exciting. :-)
ReplyDelete