So, my cousin came over the other day with his wife and family. We are the same age, but that's about where our similarities end. He is a triple Type A personality and I'm definitely NOT. Never mind that, when we get together we always reminisce and pick up where we left off the last time we visited (which is not often -- we live in different cities and we live very different lives).
He is one of those people who is driven with a capital D. Goes 150% most of the time. When he sleeps, he's dead to the world, but once he's awake, I'm sure there's usually some dust kicked up wherever he goes and whatever he does. He owns a small airplane fleet, flying business people to the Island or to Alberta, etc. He built himself a helicopter FROM A KIT and uses it to fly himself to work. Really! He doesn't sit still. His hobbies are usually expensive (and money is really not an object). (But, I have to add, he's a generous soul, too, just so you don't get the wrong idea.)
As a group of us were sitting around the other day at the condo on the beach (after a day of flying RC airplanes over the water (cool!!), he turned to me and asked, "So, what do you do for fun?" Immediately, I became tongue tied in his presence (silly me). Did he think I was a deadbeat? If he only knew... ;)
What I could have said:
"Have you seen my worm farm?"
"I love sitting in my favorite chair to watch a big storm move through our part of the city"
"I grew garlic this year. It was fun harvesting it! Wanna look?"
"I love sitting around a campfire with friends and family, and sharing a good laugh"
"Family suppers or brunches are a lot of fun".
"I love to watch documentaries."
"It's fun rearranging furniture"
"It's fun participating in running 5K with a friend"
"I enjoy visiting with girlfriends and family, catching up on stuff."
"I enjoy reading (and writing) - blogs, books, etc."
"Handicrafting is fun (especially with friends!) -- card making, knitting.."
"Road trips (with those who enjoy them!) are FUN!"
"I like to help out at my church, and enjoy getting to know people"
"Good movie dates are fun!"
If I had only told him how much fun I really have in my simple life. Oh, sure, there are other dreams I'd love to have come true and activities I'd like to pursue --- traveling with family and friends would be one.. and sometimes I'm frustrated because they aren't happening right now.. . but still, I feel pretty content just living out my life in this little corner of the world.
So, why do I feel so insecure about that question?
A while back, a girlfriend gave me a handmade card that read "Create space in your life to live your passion". I liked it so much, I framed it. Since then I've been asked, "So, what's your passion?" I think about that a lot.
Is passion the same as a hobby? Probably not. Passion is the "underlying strong emotion or agitation which causes an action". It seems a hobby is not a passion, but an activity or object which may be pursued with passion.
My passion is what I'm all about, which of course for me, is living my life with Jesus. How does that look? It shows up in the everyday, as an imperfect person being changed for God's glory, one small step at a time. It's living the life in front of me, enjoying the gifts and interests I have. It's listening for God's voice in the everyday, trusting him for direction. It's making mistakes, but totally knowing I am loved and accepted as I am right now. It's what gives me joy.
My hobbies? What I do for fun? That can and does change. It's just a small part of me and personally, it comes down to mostly simple things. But that's just me.
I have the same trouble when people ask me "what I do". Well... I certainly don't sit around a whole lot, I wear many hats, but I also don't get paid - a little bit now for ONE of the things - for what I do either. Sometimes those seemingly simple questions are more complex than just a quick answer!
ReplyDeleteI think you're wonderful. :)
ReplyDeleteWhat a tremendous post! Oh my! I loved it all, but especially the last two paragraphs! A kindred spirit I have found! Thank you for the blessing I've had here today. xo Dianna
ReplyDeleteLove it. It is wonderful to be a quiet person with quiet joys. And Jesus is the best passion to have. Miss you!
ReplyDelete-D