So I talk to my husband. He tells me the people he definitely won't vote for and why. He's got strong opinions (He's quite conservative). I take that into consideration, because, well.. he's pretty smart. But I play Devil's advocate just to get him a little riled up. ;)
Some hopes and dreams for the new city council and our city:
- Have realistic expectations for government services (read: practical & affordable).
- Candidates should look, act, and speak professionally since they are representing our fair city.
- Keep tax increases under control, while at the same time keep essential services going.
- Think before you spend (it's OUR money you're spending). Cut waste!
- Work hard at attracting new businesses and events here.
- Ramp up our tourist attractions. How about that water park? Kamloops is HOT in the summer. I can't believe we can't sustain a decent waterpark!!
- Be people and community friendly. Be known for being a city that cares for those who are struggling. Not hand outs, but hand ups.
- Please attract more doctors. Please.
- How about a new Performing Arts Centre? The concert I went to last week was held in our hockey rink. I (almost) got a crick in my neck from looking sideways the entire evening. Not the best place for quality sound, either. But then again, Sarah McLaughlin would sound good anywhere, being that she has the voice of an angel.
- Encourage healthy lifestyles (more community gardens, nonGMO foods)
Well, I don't know how realistic that wish list was.
I have settled on a few candidates. Maybe I'll leave it at that. I haven't missed an opportunity to vote in .... many, many years. As much as I am unenthusiastic about this election, I will do my civic duty.
When we lived in Montana, they had a water park and it gets cold there. I like what you would want to see in you city. Our elections were last week. I voted but I skipped voting for school officials since I really didn't know anyone and my kids are way past school days.
ReplyDeleteBetty
Good list and good for you for voting - and for doing some research first.
ReplyDeleteI think it was Tuesday's paper that had a whole section on the candidates, and each city council candidate answered a few key questions. I found it quite helpful. TRU also had their own survey with student issues being addressed. There was advance polling available yesterday, so tell Dad its too late to influence me at brunch tomorrow ;-)
ReplyDelete