Nov 1, 2014

Happy November!

I've never heard of anyone ever mentioning that November is their favorite month. But that doesn't mean it can't be a happy month, right? After all, Hallowe'en is finally over! It just seems to be a bit drawn out and over promoted, so I'm glad to see it go. That doesn't mean I didn't participate in it, though. 

 When our children were growing up, we always went to a Harvest Party at a friend's acreage and enjoyed a potluck, hayride, bonfire, and fireworks. It was a highlight for the entire family. The children ran around and played with their friends all evening and we adults got to visit, too.  Now that the kids have grown and gone, Dave and I usually head out to help at the church children's party or visit friends. And yes, sometimes we pretend we're not home, turn out all the upstairs lights, and go down to the TV room to watch movies.

Last night, we both decided that being around a screaming horde of sugared up children at our church's Candy Planet wasn't going to work for us (although I thoroughly enjoyed it last year!), so  we bought a box of mini chocolate bars, made sure our outdoor light was on and anticipated some costumed visitors calling at our door. We ended up handing out candy to a total of .... 5 children (2 visits). Oh well, they were polite and appreciative. And, yes, I heard myself say,  "Now, careful on those dark streets. Watch for cars!" 

It really wasn't that long ago that it was me, peering out through the eye holes in my ghost costume, scooting along the streets with a pillow case slung over my shoulder, was it? 













4 comments:

  1. With all I've learned in recent years about sugar being the devil, I just don't feel good about participating in my church's sugarfest. So yesterday I decided to go salty instead. I bought 110 individual packets of skinny pop, pirate's booty, fritos, etc, and then had less than 10 trick-or-treaters. Chip?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love chips! Yes, leftover Halloween candy can be a problem.. a tasty one, though!

      Delete
  2. We had zero trick or treaters; three years in a row! We bought one bag of candy (and thankfully not my favorite). I kind of miss handing out candy, though we've done other things too on Halloween.

    I can't believe it is November already! Lots of people are using November as a thankful month :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think there are a lot of competing festivities at churches, malls, and other venues that attract children and promise them whacks of candy, so door to door isn't so popular anymore,

      Delete

Hey, thanks for popping by! I appreciate your visit and your comments :) It's fun to make new friends!