People make grand pleas for 'carpe diem' and often that is just a code word for backpacking across Europe or learning to skydive or buying the expensive car you always dreamed of. Is being alive not enough? Is it not "still life" if you're making fried eggs for your kids' breakfast? .. How do we perceive all these in between moments when we're alive but engaged in something we esteem so little?
It reminds me to enjoy and live to the fullest even in the mundane and 'in between' days. You know, in the waiting times.. Yes, there are exciting times in life (and I'm happy for people - including me - who get to experience them.. new sights, new friends, new places), but a lot (most!!) of our life is the 'ordinary everyday'. If we don't seize THOSE moments and value them, then we are just existing from one high to the next. Not the best way to go through life, I don't think.
A few of my ordinary, but still sweet moments, today:
- free McDonald's coffee promotion taken advantage of! (twice) Dark roast..good coffee! 100% Arabica, don't you know! ;)
- listening to a 5 year old during Story & Crafts class tell me about what happened at his home yesterday (which wasn't funny and obviously affected him) He ended it with "but Jesus is on OUR team!!"
- shopping to my heart's content, the only customer in a women's clothing store. No pressure. I don't really enjoy shopping, so this was a bonus!
- enjoying after dinner wine & conversation with my hubby -- home alone and relaxing after a busy day out.
- hearing via Messenger from my daughter who IS having quite the experience in Venezuela right now... knowing she is excited for her next adventure (a 6 day trek in the mountains somewhere in V!!)
How about you... how did you seize the day today?
That is so true Neta about seizing each and every day we have, no matter how "mundane" our events might be in them because it is another day of life that the Good Lord has given us. Since I'm writing this at 6:20 a.m. and just got up at 6 a.m., haven't seized the day yet except when the alarm clock rang I did say "FRIDAY" Yesterday, I enjoyed watching the birds come and fed from our feeders; that simple act of providing food for them brings be a smile on my face :)
ReplyDeletebetty
I'd say the first part of your post is an excellent review, in a nutshell. And love your following words. So hard for me to find the magic in the everyday with so many parental concerns. But we must.
ReplyDeleteHope your daughter's trip proves a huge blessing. I know you do too.