Have you ever read Mending Wall by Robert Frost? It's a great poem to read at this time of year -- when we have just done that - built a fence and a tall one (6 ft) at that! And I wonder if this fence will make us better neighbours? Will we still chat with the little girls next door and get to know the family a little better?
In the poem, the author wonders if it's true that 'good fences make good neighbours' and why people put up fences when there's really nothing to keep in or out. His neighbour obviously wants to keep the fence up between their properties. Here's an excerpt from the poem..
He only says, ‘Good fences make good neighbors.'
Spring is the mischief in me, and I wonder
If I could put a notion in his head:
'Why do they make good neighbors? Isn’t it
Where there are cows? But here there are no cows.
Before I built a wall I’d ask to know
What I was walling in or walling out,
And to whom I was like to give offense.
Something there is that doesn’t love a wall, That wants it down.' I could say ‘Elves’ to him, But it’s not elves exactly, and I’d rather He said it for himself. I see him there Bringing a stone grasped firmly by the top In each hand, like an old-stone savage armed. He moves in darkness as it seems to me, Not of woods only and the shade of trees. He will not go behind his father’s saying, And he likes having thought of it so well He says again, ‘Good fences make good neighbors.'
Little Enzo will be staying with us for a week, and maybe longer. He is the cutest little thing and I might have the option to adopt him from my sister. Small chance, because I'm pretty sure he is growing on her more each day!. When I visited my sis a few weeks ago, Enzo and I became fast friends. We shall see what transpires.
Do you have a (substantial) fence between you and your neighbours? Has that been a good thing?







I had not heard of that poem before. I do believe in fences myself, LOL :) We are currently renting where there is not a fenced back yard which like I said before would have been hard with Koda here. We are looking to buy here and a requirement is a fenced yard. I like the privacy myself. I don't like being out and exposed here, LOL, though I never see any neighbors. Enzo is adorable!
ReplyDeletebetty
I highly recommend fences. We have a six foot wooden fence all around our backyard, and don't have near your space. Yours is great looking. We'll done !
ReplyDeleteWe do its a good thing because our dogs think that any human sighting needs to be promptly and loudly alerted to all within hearing distance it is annoying to us I can't imagine how the neighbours feel. BTW, little Enzo looks very cute all snuggled up next to you
ReplyDeleteI love your new fence! It looks great! We don't have any privacy at our place. (But I wish we did!)
ReplyDelete