Once upon a time, I wrote a NaNoWriMo novel about identical twin sisters separated at birth. I'm telling you that only to say that when I saw this book available for review, it piqued my interest! I found the cover attractive, as well, and sometimes I do judge a book (initially) by its cover.
At a crossroads in her life, 39 year old empty nester and widow Lily Winter decides to head to Australia to search for her identical twin sister, who was raised by another family. With the help of a handsome, single stranger, she reunites with her sister Camille. But reunions aren't as easy as they seem. And everyone seems to have some sort of baggage to work through as they work towards a happy ending. Will Lily find love again? Will Camille and Lily be able to forgive and heal from a painful past? Will Marcus Averill deal with his own inner demons? Will Dragan change her name? ;) Winter In Full Bloom by Anita Higman answers these questions (except the last one) and more.
This book began somewhat slow, with many details and conversations that seemed unnecessary, and I contemplated not finishing it (I don't usually continue reading books that don't grab me in the first few chapters -- I am a little ADD that way). The characters and situations sometimes pushed the boundaries of realism. Several times I found myself asking, "Would people really say this? Would people really DO this? Would this REALLY happen?" I enjoy realistic contemporary fiction and I wasn't too sure this was going to be that. I pushed through, however, and honestly, it got somewhat better as the story moved along. There were some plot surprises, which helped to keep my interest.
Those who enjoy Hallmark movies would probably really enjoy this book (I am not a Hallmark movie buff). There are enough twists and turns later in the book to keep one interested and a hopeful ending is anticipated. Issues are faced, forgiveness is extended, and healing begins. How that all happens is why you want to read the book! If you enjoy contemporary Christian fiction, which includes a little romance and wraps up quite neatly, you will want to check this out.
This book was received free from Moody Publishers, in exchange for an honest review.
Seems like an interesting book to get free or from the library :)
ReplyDeletebetty