I've recently been following a blog that has quickly become one of my favourites. There are so many people out there with encouraging things to say and Joel Malm is one of them. Go check him out!
I am putting a twist on one of his recent blog posts-- hope that's okay! (I'm stealing like an artist ;)
I agree that each one of us is unique, created for a purpose, and can change the world for the better in both small and big ways. We can choose to keep our gifts or share them. No gift is too small or insignificant in God's eyes. And He is good at multiplying the little we might think we have to offer.
Signs that you are probably a very interesting individual:
You create. I recently read Steal Like an Artist by Austin Kleon. Good stuff. How many times have you heard the comment "I'm not creative". I've said that many, many times but I know it's a lie. We are ALL creative! But our creativity might look very different from someone else's. No sense comparing. In our culture, we often default to passive entertainment, which steals our God-gifted creativity. Creativity takes time to grow.
You read. It's a great way to experience things you might not be able to see or do first hand. And it opens up your mind to how others live and think. It's not always comfortable to step out and read others' views when yours might be pretty entrenched. But it's healthy. And it helps you to understand where others are coming from. It's the best way to help figure out what you really believe and it can make for some interesting and lively discussion.
You take risks. Remember what you consider a risk might be a piece of cake to someone else. I tell myself that a lot! Do you regularly do something that 'scares' you?
You ask questions. The most fascinating people are the ones who don't have all the answers. And they aren't afraid to ask the questions. Interesting, scary, uncomfortable ones sometimes. Asking questions usually leads to finding answers. But sometimes it's good to just sit with the questions until answers come.
You learn new things. And then you share your experiences to enrich others' lives.
You listen. You look people in the eye and you focus on them. You are interested in what others believe, think, and experience. You don't have to have all the answers. You are open to learning. That makes you very attractive.
You admit mistakes. A wise person once said, "Do you want to be right or be happy?" I want to be happy. Winning an argument is never a win/win, is it? I don't enjoy being around people who are continually wanting to be right. Sometimes that person is me. Ouch. Often the most beautiful (and hardest words to say) are "I'm sorry, I was wrong, I apologize".
You need people. We are made for community. And we don't often do this well. You include people. You meet new people. You are honest. Your bravest word might be "Help".
You care for others. In your own unique way, in the small and big things, you care for God's creation - people, animals, all of creation. You do what you are able to do because it's the right thing to do. We are all in this together.
You take time for YOU. Self care is so important and it's not selfish unless it takes up all of your time and interest. Then it's self-absorption. We care for ourselves so we can care for others.
Can you add to this list? Disagree with any of these signs?
I do like the signs you listed, I agree with them and I can't add any to the list :) So true that we all have gifts to use that God has given to us. I used to have "gift envy" because hubby can play guitar really well and is on worship teams at church. Until one day I got the epiphany from God I'm sure that my gift of holding babies or working in the nursery was a vital gift too; gave parents time to be fed in church so they in turn could feed their kids with the Word of God :)
ReplyDeletebetty