Nov 29, 2015

The Advent--ure begins



Today is the first day of Advent. I purchased a wonderful book last year called Taste & See - Experiencing the Stories of Advent and Christmas by Jan Johnson. She encourages the use of our God given imaginations to place ourselves in the story as we do our daily readings. This book is written for small groups, but easily adaptable to an individual devotional time.

The daily advent opening prayer:
I will release the cares of the day, and open my eyes to the wonder of God,With an attitude of empathy to people of another time, I will open my heart and mind to God. I will prepare to experience God's Word to methrough the presence of the Holy Spirit. 
 If I recall correctly, my plans to read it daily last year didn't exactly materialize. Thankfully, the author wrote these wise words in the introduction, and I took them to heart:
Do the meditations as you can, not as you can't. 
I figure any advent readings, meditations, and journalling I do this year will be better than not starting at all.

This morning my church was decorated beautifully with lights and greenery and the advent candles were in place. I could feel myself beginning to anticipate Christmas, slowly but surely. I was disappointed that we didn't light the candles or sing even one Christmas-focused song, though. There are so many beautiful renditions of carols these days, both traditional and updated. Hopefully we will be singing those together more than just on one Sunday!

Thankfully, I have a wealth of Christmas CD's (I usually purchase one new album a year), and I will be playing them to my heart's content at home and in the car.  Come Dec 1st,  that is. That's when my celebrations officially begin--the tree goes up (undecorated for a few days) and the Christmas playlist begins. And on the first Saturday of December, we have our annual family brunch, tree decorating (girls), and outdoor light stringing (guys). I'm looking forward to that, although I will really miss two of my children this year who are too far away to make it. It won't be the same without them. *sniff*

Advent helps to bring me back to reflect on what really matters. Even if it's just a few minutes at a time, it is my way of being sure I do 'listen' to hear what God is saying to me this Advent season.

Hope your season of anticipating Christmas is meaningful to you!






5 comments:

  1. You got a good plan to be ready for Christmas :) I hope it is a good preparing season for you.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. So meaningful..."Do the meditations as you can, not as you can't." Each Christmas that comes around often sends me into a depression round. No, not because I don't believe. I am saved by Christ's blood and rejoice in salvation. No, it is because the pile up of memories and guilt and sorrow from years past.
    Thank you for lifting me up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your honest comment, Susan.I am sure you aren't alone in your thoughts. I thought maybe this lovely poem might comfort or inspire you today as it did for me: http://estherhizsa.com/2015/11/27/advent/ (scroll to the bottom of that post).

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Hey, thanks for popping by! I appreciate your visit and your comments :) It's fun to make new friends!