Jan 16, 2016

signs of life in the dead of winter

Half way through January already!??

*techy (or rather non-techy) alert: pictures didn't appear earlier.. hope they show up now. 

I'm slowly slipping back into daily routines. Still finding it hard to jump out of bed with wide eyes and a spring in my step.  Winter makes one so hibernative (I think I made that up), doesn't it? I simply want to stay home and unsubscribe to all of my outside obligations at times. But, I know that that would not be a healthy decision! Once I get out there, it's all good.

Sometimes I do wonder why we live where we do. Last weekend, the mountain passes were clear, so we took a quick 3 1/2 hour trip down to the coast. It was so wonderful! I felt like we had just bypassed a season and waltzed into early Spring! Sunshine and no snow!

winter where my sister lives 
winter where we live 

Speaking of unsubscribing, today I checked out this very interesting site called unroll.me which helps clean up your inbox by managing subscriptions. It's a simple way to unsubscribe, keep, or send to 'rollup' (which sends you ONE email a day with any updates on those).  Am I the only one who is a subscription junkie? 

Which leads to a very full inbox. Overwhelmingly so. I had over 100 subscriptions (newsletters & blogs) between my 2 email addresses (that's besides my bloglovin' subscriptions). I know. I think I'm down to about 40 now.

Whittling down the reading list is going well. But the day AFTER I blogged about not purchasing any new books this year, I received a very generous Amazon gift card in the mail from my dear friend (who knew nothing about my challenge). Yes, it's true!! But I am holding off. This past week I was so close to purchasing a book to read along with an online book club, but I steeled my resolve and inquired if the local library could obtain it for me.. Win!

Winter is for indoor projects. I am super pleased with the guest bedroom reno we finished in one weekend. Mr. Handyman worked on the floors, and I painted walls and refinished old furniture.


out with the old carpet,
in with the new laminate
ready for a vintage-y look
guest room ready for company!


 And some Me Time has led to..
 Experienced a mild second-sock-syndrome-- weeks--
-- nothing as serious as last time!

wintergreen dishcloth



adding to the gift box- for the next wee baby girl I meet

Being hibernative doesn't mean being unproductive, right?

Hope you are enjoying the season you are in right now!

Oh, and I can't sign off without giving a Happy Birthday!!! shout out to my dear adventurous daughter who is trekking in the country of Myanmar (Burma) at this very moment! 




3 comments:

  1. Happy birthday to your daughter! What an adventure she is on! For some reason, I couldn't see any of the pictures you posted here :(

    I know what you mean about not wanting to get out and about if it is cold outside. I find myself wanting to hibernate too though our weather is going to warm up a bit this week, for that I'm grateful!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm another hibernator. Like you, I have to force myself out the door in January. Once I actually leave the house I'm fine. It just takes a huge mental effort to talk myself into doing so. It is probably just my computer, but I couldn't see any of the pictures you posted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pictures are good now - the room looks GREAT! I don't particularly love driving in the snow, but I do love winter - maybe because it IS a good excuse to do a bit of hibernating! =)

    ReplyDelete

Hey, thanks for popping by! I appreciate your visit and your comments :) It's fun to make new friends!