Since son was coming to this side of town to play ball hockey last night, I had invited him and his wife for sup, so I sent a message to let hubby know. Here's the conversation thread, and what was going through my head:
me: P&N are coming for sup
(I also remembered another request I had for him-- he works at a radio station, so often can score some free tickets for concerts)
me: any chance of getting some Johnny Reid tickets?
him: probably not unless there is a late draw
him: guess you don't want to invite another guest (I'm assuming he means a guest for the concert, since he isn't interested in going)
me: yes, I could (I'm already thinking of girlfriends who may possibly want to attend with me)
him: what time would you need us home (Wha..???? WHO is 'us'???!)
him: Scott accepted our offer (oh no! Scott is an out of town businessman who Dave was working with this week)
me: I thought you were talking about tickets!!!!! (he wasn't. He was talking about a dinner guest!)
(at this point I called him on the phone and we both nervously laughed about what had just happened)
him: I'll try to get home by 6
me: ..... (silence)
So, as you can see, a simple text message can have unexpected outcomes if one isn't careful!
Why this could have gone very badly:
I was trying out a NEW recipe.
I wasn't 'prepared mentally' for company I had never met.
Having unexpected company is not in my 'comfort zone'.
Why this went well:
I had just finished cleaning my house (!)
With more people at the dinner table, the conversation went well. My daughter in law is a great conversationalist! :)
The maple chicken dish turned out better than I anticipated. It's definitely not going to be a favorite of mine, though. My fear was that it was bland and overcooked.(Overcooked chicken = yuk)
We had some meaningful, honest, unanticipated conversation over coffee.
Scott was a gracious guest and kept thanking us for the invitation, the dinner, and the conversation.
I just felt this whole evening was a 'God thing'. And I felt encouraged that God works in small ways, and it's exciting and faith building!
“ We can do no great things; only small things with great love.”
St. Therese of Lisieux
Glad it all worked out
ReplyDeleteSounds like a delightful time. Texting is great but today I found myself trying to get some info from son when I just realized calling him would be easier, got everything resolved in less than a minute :)
ReplyDeleteBetty