
Breathe.
Just
breathe. How many times have I said that to myself? Just breathe. Take a deep
breath.
Sometimes
circumstances are such that I feel my thoughts spinning or playing over and
over like a broken record. Maybe it’s something I said that I regret. Perhaps
it’s something I did that I can’t undo. And so I get on this track that’s
moving so quickly, I can’t get off. Does that ever happen to you?
Sometimes I
just need to take a step back and breathe. Slow my thoughts down and then sit
myself down and tell myself the truth. Is this a life or death situation? Is
this the end of the world as I know it?
Will I become homeless through these actions? Will I ruin someone’s
life? The truth is, it’s uncomfortable, I am sorry I made that decision, and
yes, it even hurts a little. Especially when it’s not the first time it’s
happened. Big reveal: I’m not perfect. 2nd Biggest Reveal: And that’s
okay. In fact, it’s good. Can you imagine how much pressure there is on having
to do everything right ALL THE TIME?
So, after a
‘cool off’ period with myself, somewhat like being penalized in a hockey game
(mind you, I have rarely played hockey!), I calm down and it doesn’t seem like
such a big deal anymore. What was I all flustered about anyway? It was one
little mistake.
And I
breathed.
***
There.. that wasn't so bad ;)
I suffer terribly from anxiety (though I'm working on it these days) and there are days I truly have to remind myself to breathe because I get so "caught up" in what has made me anxious filled. There was a song by Jonny Diaz I heard a lot on Christian radio during the beginning of our crisis Breathe https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnjeMwxFuBA that I could totally identity with.
ReplyDeleteIts getting easier to breathe :)
betty
I understand everything you have said here. It is so easy to continue to second guess ourselves. And so hard to stop. Have a good weekend. Don't forget to breathe!
ReplyDelete