Day 2 Afraid
“Be not afraid.”
Apparently, this is
the one phrase most often repeated in the Bible. Recently I read something very
interesting about this command.
Well, it sounds like a command, doesn’t it? I
wonder in what tone this was spoken? Do you think it was spoken harshly or
gently? With frustration or with love? Belittling or encouraging?
Note that the words weren't “Don’t FEEL
afraid.” They were “Don’t BE afraid.” In other words, don’t let fear overtake your
life. Just because you feel fear,
doesn’t mean you have to be a completely fearful person. Feeling and Being are two different things.
Sometimes I feel afraid. I’m human.
There are many happenings in the world around us that cause us
to feel fear. But we don’t need to be known as fearful people. I certainly don’t
want to define myself in terms of my fear. I know I’m much more than that. How
about you?
Photo by SHTTEFAN on Unsplash

I like your contrast between feeling afraid and being afraid. There's a big difference!
ReplyDeleteThat's a really good distinction to make. Nice to meet you from the challenge.
ReplyDeleteIf I remember correctly, there are 365 Bible verses dealing with being afraid or fear. Someone said one for every day of the year (forget leap year, LOL :)
ReplyDeleteIt is commanded often for us not to be afraid. I find myself fearful, but less fearful than in years past.
betty
I always think it is said lovingly with a hug and full of comfort. I can see where it might be a stern voice of God too.
ReplyDelete