Day 14 Ask
Ask for what you want.
That was one of the Points of Power I learned from a
personal growth seminar I attended years ago. And I think it’s good advice. Not
always easy, though. And it might even feel selfish and a bit risky.
How many times do we get into arguments, experience relationship issues, or
just feel frustrated because we haven’t asked for what we wanted? We might assume too much and then become disappointed.
Some things I’ve wanted but often don’t voice:
A hug
Time together
A listening ear
An apology (this one can be tricky)
Time alone
Time to process things
An explanation
Forgiveness
This is where we can learn from children. We know that little ones always ask for what they want, until they learn that that
doesn’t always work for some reason. Maybe they’ve been discouraged from being
so forthright. Maybe they are avoiding disappointment. then they stop asking or begin asking in a round
about way or become manipulative.
I remember when my children were little, they would see something they wanted and say
things like, “It sure would be nice to have a second bowl of icecream” or “That pie sure looks yummy”.
And I’d say , “So,
what is it that you want? Ask for what you want.”
“May I have a second
bowl of ice cream?”
“Why, yes you may!” J
Well, it didn’t always turn out that way, but
they did learn to ask for what they wanted.
Do you have a hard time asking for what you want? Does that sound selfish and risky to you?
I love that you taught them to be more direct in their requests. I can imagine it's a habit that's served them well.
ReplyDelete