Oct 8, 2018

~Comfort~


Photo by Annie Spratt on Unsplash

Sometimes we need a little comfort. To me, that might mean being snuggled up on the couch with a cup of tea and a good book. Sometimes that means meeting a friend somewhere and having a good chat. Sometimes it's just a warm hug. 

Sometimes we give a little comfort. We can comfort others just by listening to them. It doesn’t often happen that someone listens without interjecting their own thoughts. I know I have to catch myself doing that. The goal is to pay attention 100% to what the other is saying, not to what my response might be. How comforting is it to be really listened to?

 Are you comfortable? What does that really mean? Able to comfort?  A chair comes to mind. A comfortable chair is one that a person can relax into without really thinking about the chair. It’s there to support you and because it’s doing its job, it isn’t thought about. I suppose a good friend can be like that. We are so at home with this person, that all we know is that we feel safe and heard. We aren’t worried about what they think, what they will do with what we say, or whether they’ll still be our friend after what we have shared.  They are comfortable. 

Being able to comfort and able to receive comfort are both important aspects of our emotional wellbeing.


I’ve  joined the 31 Days of Five Minute Freewrites. Read more about it here.


4 comments:

  1. Comfort to be is food and my blog friends! So good to see you again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Food is definitely comforting! Thanks for popping in and thanks for the welcome back :)

      Delete
  2. I'm lucky to have a long time friend that I'm always comfortable with. We don't see each other as often as when our kids were growing up together but we just pick up where we left off. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a friend I've known since Grade 5 and that's exactly our relationship, too!

      Delete

Hey, thanks for popping by! I appreciate your visit and your comments :) It's fun to make new friends!