I was twelve years old when my youngest sibling was born. I was third oldest, in a family of seven children. My mom was very busy with running a household. I was so thrilled to have another little brother so I basically "adopted" him as my own. I loved that little guy and spent hours and hours carrying him around and feeding him his bottles. As he grew, I played games with him, taught him him and my second youngest brother songs while I played guitar, spent time with him outdoors, and even taught him dance steps to Abba songs (our favorite memory)! This created a special bond which we still have to this day.
When he was about eight years old, I moved out of our family home for good. When he was ten, I moved a good day and some's travel away from home to take on my very first teaching position as a Grade 3 teacher in a small remote village on Vancouver Island. It seemed like a million miles away.
Recently I came across a letter I received during that time. On one side was my dad's handwriting, a letter telling me how proud he was of me. He had suggested my little brother write me on the back of the page. What a memory! I valued those letters so much. I have stored this wrinkled, repeatedly folded and unfolded page in its original envelope in my bedside table drawer for many years--I don't want to risk misplacing it. It is a connection to that special time in my life when I was beginning to venture out into the world as a young adult.
For my brother's birthday this year, I sent him a card with a copy of his letter included in it. We had a great time reminiscing about it.
The art of handwritten communication is worth reviving. Somehow an email doesn't bring the same sense of joy and appreciation as a handwritten card or letter, does it? I hope to do better and send more personal notes and less emails to thank or celebrate those I appreciate.
Do you value handwritten cards and letters?
That was a sweet birthday gift for your brother! I'm sure he'll treasure it forever. I do value handwritten cards and letters, but these days rarely send them. My handwriting has gotten so bad over the years that it is almost good for me to email letters or type them so that the recipients can read them.
ReplyDeletebetty
It's true we don't handwrite as much as we used to. It's becoming a lost art.
DeleteGreat memory!! That is one special letter.
ReplyDeleteIt really is.
Delete