She, a woman in her 60's, has hired a team of home organizers (me included) to help her declutter her home and prepare the home for sale. Having collected much over a span of 40 or more years, this job will take more than a few weeks for four workers to complete. There are 'treasures' everywhere. And I do mean everywhere. Some of the rooms and storage areas are piled up so high with bags, cardboard boxes, and totes that large items (like beds) are actually hidden!
Toothbrush? Oh, toothbrush! Is that the mysterious object I held earlier? Was that a part of her electric toothbrush system? It was a plastic, cylindrical handle with a thin metal rod protruding out of it. It really didn't look much like a toothbrush. But, I'm pretty sure that's what she's referring to. Oops. I think that's the object I put into the large, clear bag about an hour ago... the one loaded up, tied, with a 'charity' label on it, and set outside. Or did I toss the object, thinking it wasn't usable? It looked like it was missing a key component.
Keep, toss, donate, or sell? This phrase is repeated over and over in my head as I work with my team and with the homeowner. It's simply impossible to ask her about every item. As the days go by, we learn what has value to her and what can go.
But sometimes we assume.
As I go about my business, I say a prayer. God, would you show me where it is? I rummage through my garbage bag. Nope.
I revisit the charity bags, bulging with all manner of household items, plastics, stationery, craft items, and decor. I open up the one that's sitting outside, and move my hand through it, hoping I'll find this elusive electric toothbrush handle. Wait, what's that? Yes, there it is! Mission accomplished.
With thanks sent heavenward, and a sigh of relief, I reenter the house and give it to our client. It turns out that is NOT what she was referring to. It DOES go to the garbage, after all. Still, I'm glad I didn't toss something she wanted to keep. Above all, we want to keep our client happy.
This work sometimes reminds me of the parable of the woman who has ten coins and loses one. She stops everything and goes on a hunt for the one coin, and doesn't stop until she finds it. It's valuable to her, and she's driven to succeed. This is especially important when someone else entrusted the coin to her!
Just another day in the life of a home organizer.
Wow that would be an interesting job. For me it would bring back nightmares of cleaning my inlaws house out. Reminds me of storing treasures in heaven and not on earth
ReplyDeleteBetty
It really is interesting. It's my first time at this sort of work. It takes a lot of courage to let go of things, I'm learning.
DeleteBoth my husband and I have packrat tendencies, although we have been better at purging than we used to be. The challenge is getting both of us on board at the same time.
ReplyDeleteYes, that's a big one. It is hard to give up things that we deem valuable and the other doesn't.
Delete