Glory to God in the Highest, and on earth peace, goodwill towards all people!
The angels concluded their message, proclaiming to an ordinary band of lowly shepherds, certainly no pillars in their community. They were just simple people doing the work necessary to keep their families fed. After seeing the Christ child, as the angels had said, they excitedly spread the word they had been told. "And all those who heard it marveled at those things the shepherds shared." Luke 2:18
God uses the most unlikely people to bring the message of peace to the world.
I feel unequipped for the task of bringing peace to the world, failing many times. Often I'm tempted to focus on my own wants and needs. Often I lack confidence. Sometimes the pain I see in this world is simply too much, and I want to hide. Do you feel the same? How, then, do we help to usher in peace and goodwill?
Peace on earth, I must remind myself, is not conditional upon what is or isn't happening 'out there' but it is based on a Person. Jesus brings peace to our world, in the middle of the mess. He brings it by changing our hearts one bit at a time. And then we must bravely join in the work of making change. One small step at a time, often beginning with the person in front of us.
I recently had a conversation with two of my coworkers. For some reason, we had a really deep, meaningful conversation about life, and I, praying that God would give me the words to say that would matter, shared something I had learned in my life. "When you said that, I had goosebumps all over! I don't know why! That really hit me!", one of them responded. I was as surprised as her, but I believe it was the Spirit of God touching her the way only He can. He is the one who changes lives. I keep praying for her, one who has been so beaten down by life.
The spirit of Christmas gives us a voice to cry "Good will to men, and Peace on earth", making it so much more than just a sweet sentiment and a shallow hope.
Good will, or Peace on Earth, this is an act of rebellion, a full forced movement against the effects of the fall. It is not blind faith nor is it childish rhetoric. It is holy wisdom and it is as out of place as a host of angels hovering over a band of shepherds.
(from Peace is Here: Christmas Reflections, by Jars of Clay)
May we all remember whose we are this Christmas, and respond to the little (and big) nudges the Spirit gives us, joining in the movement of bringing the peace of Jesus to our world.

It is amazing how the Holy Spirit works; good testimony in how your words "convicted" your coworker. God is working in her, so keep praying!
ReplyDeleteMerry Christmas!
betty
Thanks, Betty! Merry Christmas to you!
DeleteAmen! May the Lord give each of us the courage and conviction to be able to share the good news that Christ the Savior is born and that salvation can be ours through him. Blessings to you as we enter this 4th and final week of Advent.
ReplyDeleteThank you! Christmas peace and joy to you!
Delete