Have you ever noticed how, after noticing something for the first time, you tend to see it more often? For example, if you have purchased a red car, suddenly red cars pop up everywhere! Or if you become pregnant, you notice all the others around you expecting as well. This is called Frequency Illusion, or even more technically, the Baader-Meinhof Phenomenon, and I think I may have experienced a form of this a few days ago.
On Saturday, I had the terrifying experience of being steps away from a rattlesnake. Yes, it was a rattlesnake. It definitely had a rattle that.... rattled! Once I (somewhat) recovered from that whole experience, I saw 'snakes' everywhere! It made me want to hole up in my home!
Thankfully, with a little time, I have gathered my wits about me, and have dared venture into the yard once again. I have to remind myself that rattlesnakes are rarely seen on properties around me; they tend to live up in the hills on the other side of the road, not near the river. My neighbour said he's never seen a rattler in his yard in all the nine years he's lived here. So, maybe (I hope) this really was an anomaly!
I've been a little more jittery around the garden hoses lately. I hope that settles down.
Ack! I’d be the same way. I WAS the same way after a mouse managed to find its way into our house. Ugh.
ReplyDeleteMice...yuk! I have a huge fear of mice, too! Especially inside my home!
DeleteI'd be moving :) Oh how scary; glad you were okay! We had a snake in the backyard of one of our houses (it was close to a little nature preserve). It was orange so easy to see but I found it very disconcerting to go out there, always looking this way or that way. We figured it was after the baby quail and once the quail had grown up or migrated away (hopefully not eaten away) we didn't see it again (thankfully).
ReplyDeletebetty
What is it about snakes? They are scary!
Delete