Oct 31, 2022

Monday List

 Things I Love - the October Edition

Birds - This morning I glanced out of our kitchen window and spotted at least five bald eagles standing near the river's edge on the  pebbly shore across the river. I'm pretty sure they were enjoying some of the dead salmon that are washing up after spawning. I often see a heron standing alone on the well lid near the river's edge at this time of year. A heron in flight is a sight to behold.  

October skies are amazing! 

Bone broth - After our (Canadian) thanksgiving meal, the turkey bones became a bone broth which simmered overnight.  I froze the seasoned goodness in smaller containers and stacked them in the freezer. Now, on a moment's notice, I am able to  to make turkey soup for family members who are suffering from colds or flus this season. Sure enough, the sniffles, aches, and fevers have returned. It's something I can do to help my adult kids feel better when they are feeling absolutely miserable.

Fall walks - The other day I took a long walk up our quiet road. It's one of the ways I am able to relax and find my peace when anxieties overwhelm. Sometimes I walk and just take in the beauty of my surroundings. Other times I put in my earbuds, find the RevWell podcast and 'walk the words of Jesus'. 


Reading Bible stories to my grandkids. It's one of my favorite pastimes. They are full of interest at this age.  Their eyes grow wide and they ask, "Is that a true story, Oma?". Yes, it is! I say. "Do all the stories end good?" Well, sometimes really bad things happen, and sometimes it takes a long time for things to change, but God is always with them, but yes, the endings are  happy! Isn't God amazing?

Dehydrating food - I borrowed my daughter in law's dehydrator and started with sliced apples. Dried apple slices are so yummy! I also dried some green onions, and some banana slices. My advice, banana slices don't dry very well... eat them fresh or freeze them for banana bread or smoothies! 

Cleaning up the garden beds. This fall, I've been learning about lasagna gardening, layering all sorts of mulch materials on the garden bed. I'm hoping for improved soil next spring! 


Harvesting seeds from some of our garden veggies. For some reason, I find harvesting radish seeds very relaxing and enjoyable! It's almost a meditative activity, except when the grands decide to help out! But how could I say no? ;)   Radishes aren't a favorite vegetable, I know, but they're fun to plant because they grow so quickly. Kids love that! 


Color change. I never tire of admiring the trees showing off  their autumn splendour. 

What's one favorite thing you love about October? 


8 comments:

  1. There are a lot of great things about October! Enjoyed reading your favorites for the month! Hubby and me talked about getting a food dehydrator, but yet haven't taken the plunge to do so. If we do so, I'll remember not to try bananas in it! October cools down here so that's a good thing about the month :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The food hydrator I used is not an expensive one and it did well (except for the bananas!) ;)

      Delete
  2. God is so good and gives us so much. May we always have eyes to see and a heart that listens.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your mention of lasagna gardening had me intrigued. I just went down a rabbit hole on google to research it. LOL!

    This is a great list. I love October for many of the reasons you mention, and also because it's my husband's birthday, so it gives us a chance to celebrate him. He's not one that usually likes a fuss made, but on his birthday he doesn't have a choice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I bought the book Lasagna Gardening. Full of good info on how best to plant and care for specific vegetables, etc. Hope you had a fun day celebrating your husband, and thanks for popping by!

      Delete
  4. I have been dehydrating bananas to fill up the trays when I don't have quite enough apples or figs. The secret is to slice them into very thin rounds, on to parchment paper, and dehydrate them for 14 hours or so. They are so crispy and have intense banana flavor. I get about two bananas' worth on one of my trays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip, Gretchen. I do think my bananas were probably a bit too ripe! Maybe I'll try again!

      Delete

Hey, thanks for popping by! I appreciate your visit and your comments :) It's fun to make new friends!