Haven't made it for a while, but I'm got my kombucha doing a second ferment and I can't wait till its done and ice cold! It's tastier than most cold alcoholic beverages, in my humble opinion, and it's healthy! I've flavored mine with lemon, ginger, and strawberries this time around. And a new batch is in the works.
It's been a busy few weeks,with finishing up school work, and taking a road trip with a friend, driving about 11 hours north of here (where I've never been), to visit our girls who are cooks for a tree-planting camp. That was a wonderful few days. In every way. New sights, spending time with a friend, relaxing at a cabin in the woods, and of course, time with our girls. Short, but sweet. Wow, were we proud of how hard our girls are working at keeping those 60 tree-planters well fed. They are amazing!
A couple of weeks back Dave and I packed up the old canoe and spent the afternoon on the lake near Chase. You know those times you plan something and it turns out as you had hoped? The weather cooperates, no flat tires, no canoes flying off of the back of the truck as you are zipping down the highway, and you enjoy sights you haven't seen before? I love it when that happens. We saw the absolute cutest thing -- a mother duck (the kind with the tufted mohawk-- I think it's called the Redbreasted Merganser) with about 10 little ducklings in tow -- and the favored one sitting atop mom's back. Probably named Joseph! ;) We tried to get a good shot, but Mama was quite protective, so we enjoyed them from a distance.
Mama and her ducklings in the distance, paddling like crazy!
Just this week, a colleague and I met up to celebrate our finishing up another school year as online support teachers. We spent the day chatting, hiking, and picnicking at Pillar Lake, about an hour's drive from here. A short (but steep) 20 minute hike brought us to the famed 90 foot tall 'sandstone conglomerate pillar' in Pillar Provincial Park. It is topped by an 8 tonne boulder. Wonder how this spectacular creation came to be? It looks so out of place amongst all the trees!
Not all has been wonderful, however. If you've followed my blog for any length of time, you've probably read about and seen pics of my cat Buddy. Well, I had to make the difficult decision to put Bud to sleep. It's been a long time coming, really. Buddy, always a bit nervous (his mother was a wild cat), was becoming a very anxious cat, jumping at the slightest sounds and becoming quite nasty to visitors, what with hissing and other aggressive acts (trust me). Things had gotten worse in the last few weeks, and it got to the point where we really couldn't trust him anymore. After a long chat with the vet, she agreed that as he's gotten older, his skittishness and nasty habits have escalated and an angry, fearful, unpredictable cat can spell trouble. So, we had the vet put him to sleep in the most humane manner. I have to be honest.. I felt very relieved when it was all over. It was a stressful time! But I do miss Bud, especially when I see pics of him. He loved me a lot (when he wasn't acting weird) and was my constant companion in a quiet empty-nest house. I could go on about all that I miss, but I won't. Anyway, I had a hard time getting to the point where I even wanted to share that (love hurts sometimes). But I know we did the right thing. Even though it was hard. I am going pet-less for the next while, and I'm really okay with that for now.
I will remember you
. Summer is a time when, even though hard times may come, and not all goes as planned, the weather lifts my spirits. The rain clouds break, a sliver of blue shines through and grows, and before I know it, it's warm and beautiful again and I can enjoy the view of the mountains from my deck. And I wonder where the clouds went.
Hope you are all enjoying these summer months, too. It's the small things. Really.













Thanks so much for the updates on everything. It sounds as though you are having a lovely summer! Your pictures are absolutely beautiful...and WOW! No wonder you and your friend were proud of your girls. That is a serious looking kitchen and the trays of meat look incredible! I'm really sorry about your cat. He was beautiful...and looks so much like a female cat that my brother had. She passed away a little over a year ago now. I still miss her.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Dianna. Yes, summer is starting out very well! Looking forward to some camping, too. Thanks for those kind words about Buddy. I miss the good times.
DeleteSo sorry about your cat, but I think you made the right decision. I love the place you went canoing, looks peaceful there! Seems like you are having a great summer so far!
ReplyDeletebetty
Thanks, Betty. Hope you are having a good summer, too!
DeleteHi Aneta! You have been doing a lot of physical exercise, good for you! Your shots of the canoe trip look so peaceful and lovely (although paddling was a lot of work, I'm sure!). And how fun to meet a fellow teacher to hike and then do some work. So much better than a closed-in meeting room :)
ReplyDeleteI'm sure it was hard to say goodbye to your cat, but I'm glad you can see that it was really a merciful thing. Poor little guy...you gave him a stable life, which he really needed.
I hope the summer brings you more fun road trips!
Ceil
Hey sweets...very sorry about your kitty, but I understand. Always hard to make that sort of decision.
ReplyDeleteI'm very interested in your Kombucha. I've read about it, but haven't ever tried to make it, or drink it. Please tell me more. I'm so curious. :)
And your photos are beautiful. The water looks amazing. Wish I was there. Oh, how I wish I was there.
Hi Melissa! Hope you got the email I sent with kombucha details. I hope you get a little time to relax and enjoy the sites this summer, too.
DeleteLovely photos, Aneta! It looks like you have a lot of great experiences already, and the summer is just getting started. :-)
ReplyDeleteSorry to hear about Buddy. I know how much you loved him.
Yes, I did love him. Have lots of good memories and pics to reminisce over. Yay for summer! I am planning the menu for camping, but as you can see, I'm procrastinating right now! ;)
DeleteOh my goodness. So much in this post! Thanks for the wonderful updates!
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry tho hear about Buddy. That's so sad.
Yeah, it is.
DeleteYou have unknowingly solved a mystery for me! Gary and I have driven by Pillar Lake a couple of times and I have always wondered why it was called that since I couldn't see a pillar of any kind. Now I know that I need to go on a hike to find said pillar! (Might have to put that on my to-do list.)
ReplyDeleteSorry to hear about Buddy. I'll miss reading about his antics.