Dec 1, 2014

Trespassers will be ...

 My husband tried to keep the news from me for over a week! He knew I'd probably not take the news well. Yes, my imagination does get the better of me sometime.

The last few days I have been hearing little crinkly, crunchy noises, but I suspected it was the house creaking with the icy winds that have been blowing. Sometimes our heating ducts make noise, as well, so I convinced myself that's what it was.

However, he came home today and had a funny little smirk on his face - the one which tells me he's been keeping  a secret but it's impossible to carry on the charade --  and said, "Promise me you won't go crazy if I tell you this.. "

"WHAT?!" I asked "Tell me, what is going on.. " I thought it might have something to do with his work.. a pay raise? a move? being fired? (ha!)

"There's a mouse in the house. I saw it there this morning." (He pointed to where I sit EVERY morning in my reading corner).

"Where?!" Eek. My eyes got bigger and rounder. I slowly edged towards a chair. He chuckled, and pulled out a few mouse traps. He set them strategically around the house.




I tried to carry on  making dinner and puttering around the kitchen.

Needing a broom, I opened the hallway closet door and I saw it! Out scurried.. the mouse!!! I held the broom like a weapon and yelled for my hubby to save me! The chunky critter dashed for cover under our piano. And that was the last we've seen of it.

Until less than two minutes ago, as I was composing this post, I kid you not!!.. I heard a SNAP!! Was it? Could it be? It was!


I'm a wimp when it comes to little teeny tiny mice.. I know.

What are the chances that this was the only trespasser during this cold snap?





8 comments:

  1. Ha! You react just like my mom does when there's a mouse. And I hate to tell you, but the chances that it was a loner are very, very slim. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought his little mouse family will realize he ain't comin' home and will move on to safer digs... isn't that how it works? ;)

      Delete
  2. Glad it got caught and you didn't know about it for too very long. I too am not fond of those scurry fast little critters. Got to figure out how they are coming in and then board that hole up :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh, that would be difficult... this is an old house!

      Delete
  3. Chunky Chucky Cheeses! That is one well-fed mouse! What has he been getting into??
    We were going to try to figure out a way to bring Loki over without raising suspicion, but the traps are probably more efficient anyway!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, if we find another mouse, then Loki has an open invitation to come visit us for a bit!

      Delete
  4. Yep, that's a fat mouse. I've seen them as small as roaches. Not proud to say we have roaches. Ah, the humid South. I am sorry for you, though. I totally understand, but would be surprised if you only have one. But maybe!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One would be so nice.. but apparently, not reality..

      Delete

Hey, thanks for popping by! I appreciate your visit and your comments :) It's fun to make new friends!