Apr 6, 2019

F is for Friends

What is the definition of a friend? Essentially, it's someone who enjoys your company. Usually, if they like being with you, they are kind to you  and treat you well. They accept you for who you are. Of course, it's as important to BE a good friend as to have one.

 Little Enzo the Chi is happiest when he's physically close to his people. His big eyes often look up at me and I stroke his fur. He sighs audibly and deeply and settles down into his blanket.  He is definitely our little fur baby!

I recently enjoyed reading The Grace of Dogs: A Boy, A Black Lab, and a Father's Search for the Canine Soul by Andrew Root. In it, Root mentioned that studies have shown that dogs prefer being with people rather than with their own kind, which is unusual in the animal world.  As well, they are one of the few animals that constantly make eye contact with humans. They crave the connection with their human friends. We all know stories of friendship between humans and animals. There is definitely a special bond there.

A life lived well includes being a good friend as well as having them.


6 comments:

  1. Great post-- thought you might ebjoy this http://www.historyplace.com/speeches/vest.htm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing that! I really enjoyed it!

      Delete
  2. Hi. Thanks for your visit. What a cute dog and sounds like you are as besotted with your grandson as I am with mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s hard not to be, isn’t it? Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. I can't read any books like this since we lost our corgi. I think he did crave his connection with us and us with him. He always felt the happiest I think when all of his humans were at the same place together.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yes, dogs really are man's best friend - and a better friend to man, than man is to man. I have had cats because my husband is a 'cat person' but I love dogs and once our last cat has gone to his reward (he is a wonderful animal as well - just different), I just might adopt an older dog - one that is not so easily adopted.

    ReplyDelete

Hey, thanks for popping by! I appreciate your visit and your comments :) It's fun to make new friends!