Nov 13, 2020
Five Minute Friday :: Cancel
A few days ago, your future days on earth were cancelled, the candle of your life snuffed out too soon, it seems to me. My friend of almost forty years, husband to my childhood friend. Your smile, your twinkling eyes, your voice that was always warm and friendly towards me, I will miss these all. Never mind that you were suffering from the effects of cancer medications that were so hard on your body, yet kept you alive for many more years than you would have had. You never dwelled on your own pain when we visited as couples. The four of us visited in each others’ homes, camped together, talked about our kids and grandkids, laughed and reminisced. Remember years ago when cancer hadn’t reared its ugly head yet, we laughed our way through an intense tennis match? I may have wanted to win more badly than you (I think you won ;) That is such a sweet memory. Bob E, I will never forget you and the gift your life was to me, even though we lived a province apart and only really visited once or twice a year in the last 30 years. Rest in peace,dear friend, where sickness and pain have been cancelled forever.
.
.
.
This post is part of the Five Minute Friday link-up and you are welcome to join!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
what a lovely tribute. I am so sorry for the loss of your friend.
ReplyDeleteThank you, Wendy. And thanks for stopping by :)
DeleteThis really touched my heart, as I'm dying of pancreatic cancer myself. It sucks, but at the same time, it's glorious...does that make sense?
ReplyDeleteYou inspired this. Hope you like it.
Don't know if you will miss me,
don't know if my life mattered,
don't know if my own history
was better being shattered.
Don't know if my words or thought
influenced the world at all,
or, perhaps, I really ought
to be grateful for the fall
that pulls me from the human stream
before I am embarrassment,
and shoots me upward to the dream,
and I will find what 'Heaven' meant,
a world where futile past is gone,
burned out by the rising Son.
#1 at FMF thi week.
Thanks for stopping by, and yes, it does make sense, because of the hope we have. I'm sorry that you on are the cancer journey as well. Your poem is touching.
DeleteAnother 'Wendy' posted a comment, which was awaiting moderation, but somehow her comment didn't publish, and now it's gone. My apologies, Wendy, and thanks for dropping by!
ReplyDeleteSorry for your loss and your friend's loss of her husband.
ReplyDeletebetty
Thank you, Betty.
DeleteYou have honored your friend by this loving tribute. Thank you. May he rest with the blessed.
ReplyDeleteThank you, Gretchen. I believe he is.
ReplyDeleteThis is so touching and beautiful. Visiting from fmf. God bless x
ReplyDeleteThank you for those kind words.
DeleteBeautiful tribute to your friend.
ReplyDelete(Visiting from #36)
Thank you, Stephanie.
ReplyDeleteA moving tribute to a friend who was clearly dear to your heart. May God comfort his wife, you, and all who loved him.
ReplyDeleteThank you so much.
Delete