We are pulled over in the DQ parking lot, savoring a little evening treat, a DQ sundae with delicious red cherry sauce dripping over the white swirled ice cream, a spur of the moment decision on our way home after a church meeting.
I can't help but notice a man with a scruffy beard sitting cross legged on the ground, a dilapidated canvas backpack next to him. No shirt, and a cardboard sign propped up with the words scrawled in thick capital letters: HOMELESS. He's focused on juggling three small balls.
I look at my ice cream, an indulgence, something purchased without a second thought. I look at him. I can't help it, he's right there. Our car is facing him across the lot, not really that far away.
Do I look away and pretend he's not there? This I have done more often than not.
"I'm going to see if I have any cash." I say to my husband as I set down my treat and shuffle through my purse to access my wallet. Yes, I have some. Just then I notice a young woman walking by who holds out her hand to the young man. He smiles at her as he receives her gift.
I ask Dave to pull up to the space near where the man (in his 20's? 30's? I don't really know) sits. I exit the car and walk up to him and bend down. I ask him his name. Daniel. He looks so young. And so old.
I hold out my hand and offer him the cash. He responds with a hearty 'Thank you!"
Suddenly the words come out of my mouth. "May I pray for you?"
"Oh, yes! Please do!" he says.
My prayer is short and fumbly. I say Amen.
"Christians are the kindest people", he says to me. "Do you have a Bible? I used to carry one in here". He points to a small pouch on the side of his backpack.
I so wish I had one to give him, but I tell him I don't. I used to have a Gideon NT I which I kept in the car, but I took it out a while back.
"God bless you", I say as I head back into the car.
Then I see it in a cubby below the dashboard. An old paperback book Kept for the Master's Use which I had recently picked up on a giveaway table and had begun reading in snippets. It's based on the hymn Take My Life and Let it Be, which I loved as a young person. It's the hymn that was sung at our wedding over 40 years ago.
The book is all I have to give. Will it be relevant? Will he understand it? Only God knows.
I quickly return to him, show him the book, and say "This is all I have, but you are welcome to it".
"What is it about?" he asks, as he looks at the cover.
I explain it briefly and I tell him I hope it encourages him. "You are loved" I say.
He smiles and thanks me. I smile back.
I head back to the car.
I pick up my sundae and dip in for another bite, as we head home.


That's the best kind of story!
ReplyDeleteGretchen Joanna