Apr 9, 2017

1933-2017

I know there are a few of you out there who read my blog regularly (even though often my posts are few and far between).  I have shared about my dad's cancer journey in a few posts over the last few years, so I thought you might want to know about today. 

One week ago I kissed my 83 year old dad goodbye and flew home, after spending a week helping my siblings, mom, and extended family care for Dad in the hospice he had been moved into a couple weeks earlier. It was a gift and a privilege to spend time with him, hugging, praying with him, talking him through spasms of pain, playing his favorite worship music, holding his hand, helping him eat and just being with him. He couldn't really carry a conversation anymore, but he sure brightened up when family was in the room.

Early this morning, my dear beloved dad passed away. My one-of-a-kind gentle, loving father who quietly lived his faith through his deeds, took his last breath here on earth in the early hours of the morning, and is now pain free and whole in every way. He is now supremely happy in heaven with his beloved Jesus, the One he gave his heart to many many years ago.

He had suffered from prostate cancer, then bone cancer, for 6 years, bravely fighting it until his body got too tired. And with some dementia as well, it was time to let go.

We did not know when he would take his last breath. First it was months, then weeks, then last Sunday we were told days. But no one really knew. As my brother said, it was like taking steps down the stairs, with pauses and then another descend, and sometimes, surprisingly, a step or two back up. I was kept posted daily, sometimes hourly.

Whoever has ever witnessed the last months of life of an elderly loved one knows that often dying is a process with so many ups and downs, hopefulness, hopes dashed, seeing progress, seeing pain, frustration, witnessing the decline, the vulnerability, the fear, the uncertainty, the faith, the knowing, the love, the joy, the tears, the hugs, the kisses, the prayers, the thankfulness, and the mixed deep emotions.

And then the phone rings much too early,  and one hears the words, "Dad passed away early this morning".

That's what my day has been like today.

We are one blessed family. Having parents who loved each other and loved their 7 kids fiercely, not perfectly,  but deeply and with such commitment.


I've often said to friends, I don't know what I'll do when my dad passes away. And now this day has come. I'm taking time to cry and laugh, to reminisce, to share my sorrow with my friends and family, and looking forward to flying out again in the next day or so to again spend time with my family and help make the plans for the memorial service.

Although I've said goodbye and shared many hours together recently,  and spoken words of comfort to my dad, I still am sad that I missed his last moments. As much as I tell myself it's okay.

It's been a weird day. I'm feeling at odds with myself, sometimes now knowing how to feel, then being surprised by a wave of sadness overwhelming me. Lots of texting and what'sapping with siblings.  And my own husband and children, too, are grieving in their own way.

I will get through this, but never over it.  Until we meet again, dearest dad.

Love you forever, Dad! 




6 comments:

  1. Oh Neta, I'm so sorry. He looked and sounded like a wonderful man, husband, and father! One of my best scriptures for times like this and brought me comfort is Psalm 116:15 Precious in the sight of the LORD is the death of his faithful servants. (NIV)

    My pastor at our church here says that death is the ultimate healing because we who believe are now home with Jesus. Be comforted in that indeed your dad is home with Jesus.

    And mourn and allow yourself to mourn and grieve and take all the time you need to do so.

    He left behind a wonderful legacy in his children. He will be missed I am sure for a very long time.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry for your loss, even when expected it isn't any easier to deal with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Aneta. What a sweet post and what a legacy he left. Beautiful smile on his face....and to think he's in the Lord's presence this very minute. I stand amazed.

    And praying for strength for your family to get through the coming days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so very sorry for your loss. It seemed like a roller coaster for me with all the ups and downs and twists and turns. And some days I just wanted to get off the ride. You will honor your dad with all your special memories of him!! God Bless!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved this post - you are such a great communicator. Thanks for letting me know you are still blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Aneta, This is the first time I have been able to respond to your visit to my blog in January. May I begin by offering my sincere sympathy at your loss. I know from personal experience that the joy and peace of knowing your dad is with his Savior is mixed with the very real sadness that he is no longer with you and your family in this oh so real world we are still living in. Praying that as you grieve you will feel the warm arms of the Lord enfolding you. Blessing to you and yours this day.

    ReplyDelete

Hey, thanks for popping by! I appreciate your visit and your comments :) It's fun to make new friends!